Lexus IS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
There are 5 or 6 of these on eBay for 600-800.

It's too bad there is no way to "flip" these cars. Now that I know how to do it all and have all the parts tracked down I could do the whole thing in a weekend including potential engine seals. The parts cost is just prohibitive. $4k.. ugh Taking a $3k craigslist automatic and putting a manual in it != 7k+my labor+profit

·
Registered
454 Posts
Where is everyone getting their shifter housings? Toyota part 3357022150? Anywhere in the US? Only found them in Europe and Japan.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I was thinking the solution was to fab up a mount like this. If you could get the torque arm from the solstice it wouldn't be that hard to weld a mount bracket to it at some specific height. The GM part looks like a casting probably from aluminum.

I once looked into it, these brackets are as rare as hen's teeth. GM never made many of them in the first place.

What would that piece allow? So you could use a newer AR5 with the side mount?
Yes.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I would probably just find a low mileage and swap my current tailshaft housing on to it.
Yeah, I was thinking this is the way to go too. I was pondering AR-5 into Miata the other day. Miata already uses a torque arm. You'd just have to mate the Miata torque arm to the solstice one.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Would an R154 tailshaft/housing assembly fit onto the AR5? I'm done with my clunker and it's coming out one way or the other but I already have a beefy driveshaft coupled to it that I would hate to lose.

It's a small price to pay to get rid of the horrible shifting, although I'm sure my transmission must have something wrong with it, but I'd hate to have to get another shaft made and lose the one I have. I'm looking forward to opening it up though....and seeing wtf is going on in there.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Did you guys reuse the bolts from the ar5 bearing retainer plate and bellhousing or replace with new?
For the retainer I reused the bolts with Toyota red transaxle FIPG. For the bellhousing to trans I reused the bolts and had to buy a couple more at the hardware store due to the lengths being different. For bellhousing to engine I bought all new.

·
Registered
454 Posts
For the retainer I reused the bolts with Toyota red transaxle FIPG. For the bellhousing to trans I reused the bolts and had to buy a couple more at the hardware store due to the lengths being different. For bellhousing to engine I bought all new.[/QUOTE]

I used Toyota black FIPG, will that be ok or should I re-do and use the red?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I want to update and share some info with my ar5 going on 2 years now. The trans is still running good. I dont launch on it but I do run a 6266 at 30psi and MT 255 50 16 on FD RX7 16x8 wheels.

I've ran into one issue. I thought my rear output seal was leaking. I recently changed the clutch and checked it all out. It turns out that the shifter retainer bolts backed out and was leaking gear oil. I couldn't tell thats where it was coming from until i dropped the trans, and i believe those bolts are next to impossible to get to with the trans in the car.

I showed a friend and the exact same thing happened to him with his r154.

We should add these bolts to the list of things to threadlock as this could've gotten a lot worse. I hope this helps someone.

I did initally tighten them pretty good but your going against a rubber seal so its hard to gauge when your tearing it up or if its too loose.

Car is still a work in progress so not nearly as clean as most of you guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
airfed_lex thanks for the update. Good stuff to know! You chewed through your clutch in 2 years?
actually ive swapped clutches twice in the past 2 years and a few days ago took the dive on the spec twin disk.

So far to date ive had the drift motion stage 3, 500whp rated, slipped hard at 527
and the drift motion stage 3.5 600whp rated. slipped at 607
both broken in for 500 miles stop and go

I wanted to try out the super single but im tired of messing around with the clutch so i called spec and its actually not a bad price.

Its like $1800 for the full kit. But they dont have a master cylinder for the is300 which requires 3/4" bore for the twin disk. So i just bought a 1986 land cruiser master cylinder (3/4) as noted in the ar5 archives.

Good news is that the master cylinder that comes with the kit is $299. So i got the kit without the cylinder for $1560 shipped, and then a AISIN 1986 land cruiser master cylinder for $48.

Im ready to turn up the boost and see if this trans is going to blow. 700whp @ 3200lbs or bust.

81 - 100 of 151 Posts