Lexus IS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone blown up yet? My single disk 6 puck slips at 570tq. I want to get the spec twin and raise to the boost to 700tq. I'm wondering if the ar5 is gonna let go on a stock weight is300. Spec quoted $1350 with no master cylinder since their master cylinder is just a willwood 3/4" bore. I will just use the land cruiser 3/4 bore master cylinder listed in this thread since it definately fits our chassis.

Side note the ar5 is holding great. I beat on it everytime I drive it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The dude with the 2jz solstice blew one up at around 900hp after beating the crap out of it, IIRC
Well I've spent some time searching. I knew he blew a trans because of some bolt install issues but I cant find 900hp anywhere. Where did you get that information?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read his thread. He had 2 trans related issues. One was all of the flywheel bolts backing out and messing up the clutch (fail). The other was that he didn't install dowel pins and possibly used the wrong gear oil which did actually tear up some internals on the trans. The trans was whining when he started and he believes the added flex from no dowel pins and poor choice of gear oil ultimately tore up the insides. Since then he got a new ar5 and runs up to 36 psi on a act clutch setup. I think I'm just going to turn it up and see what happens. If it breaks then I'll just get another and turn it back down cause it's definitely fun as it sits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Blew 3rd and 4th today around 24 psi :-/ its been 5 years since the swap.
Any notes on what happened. From the sound of it maybe wear and tear slowly gapped the shafts and the clearances on the last pulls were just too far out. Have you changed the fluid in the last 5 years? Im at 26 psi 6266 (600whp) now and its still great. Im thinking that a fresh marlin crawler upgrade will do it some good.

Side note. I talked to spec yesterday. They are coming out with a PT trim (1100hp) twin disk. It will carry the name of something like PT-AR5(unofficial). I told them that people are using the setup from the r154 1jz and he sorta didnt believe me. He said that there are minor things like shims and a certain thickness flywheel that will make this kit exactly what it needs to be for ar5 to 2jz. It will have some oem corvette parts also. He said it would be ready in a few weeks as they are testing it now. This will be great if the ar5 keeps taking the beating.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Any notes on what happened. From the sound of it maybe wear and tear slowly gapped the shafts and the clearances on the last pulls were just too far out. Have you changed the fluid in the last 5 years? Im at 26 psi 6266 (600whp) now and its still great. Im thinking that a fresh marlin crawler upgrade will do it some good.

Side note. I talked to spec yesterday. They are coming out with a PT trim (1100hp) twin disk. It will carry the name of something like PT-AR5(unofficial). I told them that people are using the setup from the r154 1jz and he sorta didnt believe me. He said that there are minor things like shims and a certain thickness flywheel that will make this kit exactly what it needs to be for ar5 to 2jz. It will have some oem corvette parts also. He said it would be ready in a few weeks as they are testing it now. This will be great if the ar5 keeps taking the beating.
Well i can tell you that since i have done the swap i have done little maintenance to the car did not change oil, daily drive it have a b&m short shiftier. It poped right around when the weather got a little cool i was getting on the interstate and yea....im pretty pleased with how little i have done yet how it has lasted so long.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well i can tell you that since i have done the swap i have done little maintenance to the car did not change oil, daily drive it have a b&m short shiftier. It poped right around when the weather got a little cool i was getting on the interstate and yea....im pretty pleased with how little i have done yet how it has lasted so long.
Ok well that's kinda good news.

Driftmotion now sells some new goodies for the ar5. Maybe you guys have seen this already idk.

750whp single disk clutch, upgradeable to twin disc.: NEW Driftmotion Super-Single Clutch Kit

Manual transmission cooler: Driftmotion Manual Transmission Oil Cooler Kit

I talked with Aaron at drift motion and he said the bearing retainer and thrust washer from the r154 upgrade list should fit and its so cheap for these parts so I may try them out. Ive been searching and trying to see if anyone is breaking these parts on the ar-5 but I guess there just isn't enough people that have them at this point. Im now on rx7 wheels and 255 50 16 and want to get a 1/4 mile pass in with a good launch.

Chromoly first gear thrust washer: Marlin Crawler R154 Thrust Washer

Heavy duty Marlin Crawler main shaft bearing retainer: http://www.driftmotion.com/Marlin-HD-Bearing-Retainer-R154-p/dm633.htm

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was going through a list of transmissions for the solstice. can anyone elaborate on which transmission on the solstice. when i'm looking for the tranny locally i keep on finding these two.

MT, beam from tail housing to rear differential
MT, tail housing mounted to frame crossmember

which one is the right transmission?

61 - 80 of 147 Posts