Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yo i've been looking at different component setups and i already have an amp thats running my stock speakers... so i'm trying to find something that will match it well....my amp will do 55 watts rms at 4 or 75 at 2ohms... i'm looking at the infinity reference... i'm planning on replacing the front... and the rear 6x9s with the same components... i guess i'm just asking what you guys would recommend... if there is something better than the reference that matches my setup for around the same price?... there are bunch of brands that i haven't heard of that all i can do is read reviews... and i think i trust my fellow lexus guys more! thanks!

matt

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
yo i've been looking at different component setups and i already have an amp thats running my stock speakers... so i'm trying to find something that will match it well....my amp will do 55 watts rms at 4 or 75 at 2ohms... i'm looking at the infinity reference... i'm planning on replacing the front... and the rear 6x9s with the same components... i guess i'm just asking what you guys would recommend... if there is something better than the reference that matches my setup for around the same price?... there are bunch of brands that i haven't heard of that all i can do is read reviews... and i think i trust my fellow lexus guys more! thanks!

matt
I would not get Infinitys. I've had a set and they are not bad speakers by any means but you can do better for less money. If you want to stay at a good price range I would get some Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5 components. They are like $89 depending on where you find them.

PS: spend the money saved on deadener

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the phoenix ones are 60 watts rms at 4 ohms.... will that be good enough or should i get some that are 2 ohm speakers... i wanna get the most out of whatever set i get... my amp will do 75 watts rms at 2 and 55 at 4... will the phoenix ones be as loud as say a set that are rated 70watts rms at 2 ohms? this whole ohm crap confuses the hell out of me...

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
the phoenix ones are 60 watts rms at 4 ohms.... will that be good enough or should i get some that are 2 ohm speakers... i wanna get the most out of whatever set i get... my amp will do 75 watts rms at 2 and 55 at 4... will the phoenix ones be as loud as say a set that are rated 70watts rms at 2 ohms? this whole ohm crap confuses the hell out of me...
I can't think of any 2 ohm component sets off the top of my head. If there are any I doubt they will be what you are looking for.

If you want the most from your 55 watts get something that is very efficient. I think my Focals have an efficiency rating of 93db which is really high. I think the PG's will do fine off that power but if you are concerned with getting something that is really LOUD then maybe you should look into something with 91+db of efficiency.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
k i'll look around some more, and maybe pop in here and see what you think about my findings! thanks

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Im with italyn on the PG comps. I keep hearing great things aobut them. Im gonna get me a set also. But they will sounds WAYY better with more power.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Im going with the PG and my alpine amp. I am going to bridge my 4 channel amp 40x4 @4ohms to 100x2 at 4ohms. I am going to run my rear on deck power. Should be enough power for some good sound out of the PG's but more would prob be better. You might want to go that way if you want to keep it cheap.

Pick up the pg's here for cheap 87 bucks shipped.
Audiosavings.com

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
If you are going to run 100watts to those PG's and run the rear off headunit power you will never hear the rears. Save your money and leave the rears out of the system.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have been very pleased w/ my Polk Audio components(about 169.00). I'm of course not going for competition, but they sound great. I am running them off of a 600W Kenwood with 2 channels bridged to sub. I think we're in the same ball park RMS wise. Everyone of course says Infinities are great, and I won't disagree, but Polk is still a great brand. My suggestion is to pick a price range, and buy the best spec you can in that range. Check reviews on Crutchfield. If a speaker sucks, you'll see it there.

Reactions: flop170

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys! so should i not buy anything for the rear and just buy a badass set for the front?? is that what you're saying italynstylion? if that's the case my budget just went up to say 400ish for a set... does that change you guys's opinions or still say go with pgs?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hell yea very tempting!! although i've never heard of focal before today.... all i need now is a friendly push..... i don't know maybe something like this... "buy it flop what the hell are you waiting for!!!!" thanks flapper +rep to you guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts