Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to install a system but my budget is inbetween three and four grand with installation. I would like a head unit with a dvd player and screen, replace every speaker, and add a good 10 inch sub. Is this possible with my budget? I don't know much about car stereos so any input is greatly appreciated!
Thank You

·
Registered
645 Posts
This is very possible if you aren't looking to add navigation. You should be able to find decent parts with install for around 2K. Of course you could always go with more (evil :))

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
totally possible... i'm still in the process of getting my system complete. so far... i got a kenwood 7015, and boston components in front & 3ways in the rear, a jl 300/4 & 250/1 (sitting in my room), and jus gonna pick up a 10w1v2. i dont need alot of bass so that one should do jus fine for me. so far i've spent a lil over 2 grand including the install to date. the amps and sub aint going in until i figure out how everything is going to look in the trunk. so minus the cost of installing the amps & sub thou that shouldn't cost me no more then an additional $300 or $400.
jus gotta do some research... jus search all over... your local stores, online, etc... thou hookups are the greatest! :lol:

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Piece o' cake.

Alpine IVA-D300
JL 300/4
MB Quart PCE-216 (or Focal equivilant)
MB Quart DKE-169 (or Focal equivilant)
JL 500/1 (for ease of upgrade, powering a W7 if you'd like)
10w7 (or IDMax equivilant)

+Wires/install

That is a very generic system, some people would definitely change the parts (I probably would too) but its to demonstrate how easily a MM system can be had for your budget. You could add a Digital Processor, but I doubt you'd want to pay 7-800 for surround sound and a few other processing goodies.

I think the amplifiers and head unit are pretty solid though, even though I went with Alpine amplifiers (I am addicted to Alpine, but JL is a formidable competitor).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just went to a local shop they quoted me:
Pioneer AVH-P5700 - $1000
JL Audio 300/4 Amp - $500
JL Audio 250/1 Amp- $400
JL Audio 10W6 v2 - $400
Focal 165v2 (6 1/2) 2 way -$450
Focal 690CV1 6x9 2 way - $300
Installation With box for sub- about $1000

I think I'm going to look around for a while I haven't looked into these prices yet, but my guess is they're a little high? Thanks to everyone + rep to all!

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
10w6v2 for $400? At some places you could get the special JL box they make specifically with the 10w6v2 in it for just over $400. Don't let them give you the standard "The JL box is good, but its not custom built for the sound of your car." That excuse has always made me angry because they are basically telling you that you are...an idiot. They use JL specs to build the box, except it is slightly modified to fit. Anyone with some basic bracket knowledge (meaning you can turn a philips head screw driver) can secure that subwoofer.

Check around in here, I promise that this section has every single piece of information for you to do this installation yourself. It might be hard to run the wiring through the firewall, but thats just about it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
magoo said:
10w6v2 for $400? At some places you could get the special JL box they make specifically with the 10w6v2 in it for just over $400. Don't let them give you the standard "The JL box is good, but its not custom built for the sound of your car." That excuse has always made me angry because they are basically telling you that you are...an idiot. They use JL specs to build the box, except it is slightly modified to fit. Anyone with some basic bracket knowledge (meaning you can turn a philips head screw driver) can secure that subwoofer.

Check around in here, I promise that this section has every single piece of information for you to do this installation yourself. It might be hard to run the wiring through the firewall, but thats just about it.
Yeah and he said "its $50 off sweet deal"! haha bastard :pissed:

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Yup, very very shady characters. Most work on commission so its even worse.

Just read up through mobile and if you have any questions feel free to AIM or PM me.

·
Registered
941 Posts
betagamer98 said:
Yeah and he said "its $50 off sweet deal"! haha bastard :pissed:
hey betagamer, who gave you this quote? I've had tons of audio work done on my car, and know of some great places. That quote seems way too high.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ill_IS said:
hey betagamer, who gave you this quote? I've had tons of audio work done on my car, and know of some great places. That quote seems way too high.
Just went to car-toys :( I knew it would be high but I just went to look at everything. My neighbor works for car toys so i might see if he can hook me up. Where should i go locally?

·
Registered
941 Posts
betagamer98 said:
Just went to car-toys :( I knew it would be high but I just went to look at everything. My neighbor works for car toys so i might see if he can hook me up. Where should i go locally?
Are you looking to do a completely custom trunk install like me, or something a little more basic?

I would recommend going to tech-auto sound. They are located off hwy 99 in lynnwood. Ask for Jay (he's the owner), and tell him kyle with the red IS sent you. he really knows his stuff and always hooks me up. he did all of the work on my car, minus the relocation of the factory headunit to allow my navigation to work. They do most of the cars for HIN and pretty much all other shows these days.

Reactions: betagamer98

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ill_IS said:
Are you looking to do a completely custom trunk install like me, or something a little more basic?

I would recommend going to tech-auto sound. They are located off hwy 99 in lynnwood. Ask for Jay (he's the owner), and tell him kyle with the red IS sent you. he really knows his stuff and always hooks me up. he did all of the work on my car, minus the relocation of the factory headunit to allow my navigation to work. They do most of the cars for HIN and pretty much all other shows these days.
Tyring to keep it really basic, just head unit install, all speakers and sub enclosure. Thanks I will check them out + rep

·
Registered
645 Posts
I had some speaks installed by Car Toys up in the Seattle area a few years back and they completely screwed up the install. By the second week I had my passenger door speak falling out (well, leaning away from the hole anyway), they did a horrible job and are over rated and over priced IMO. Thx for the +rep by the way.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bganson said:
I had some speaks installed by Car Toys up in the Seattle area a few years back and they completely screwed up the install. By the second week I had my passenger door speak falling out (well, leaning away from the hole anyway), they did a horrible job and are over rated and over priced IMO. Thx for the +rep by the way.
Yeah I knew i wasn't going to have them install anything I was just tyring to figure out prices and products that I liked. Thanks for telling me though :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just went online and looked at prices, for all of the procucts above I could get everything for around $2,400! That's almost $1,000 off what they quoted me! is there any reason I shouldn't buy this stuff online and have a shop install it?

·
Registered
645 Posts
betagamer98 said:
Yeah I knew i wasn't going to have them install anything I was just tyring to figure out prices and products that I liked. Thanks for telling me though :)
No problem, I just don't want someone else to go through that crap. Thank god this wasn't on the Lex.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
betagamer98 said:
Just went online and looked at prices, for all of the procucts above I could get everything for around $2,400! That's almost $1,000 off what they quoted me! is there any reason I shouldn't buy this stuff online and have a shop install it?
I bought most of my stuff online and installed it myself. Haven't had any trouble yet (knocks on wood).

Buy your wires online as well. There is a guy on ebay who has Stinger for dirt cheap. bag_boy i think? You'll know it when you see it, he has a virtual store.

·
大古古
1,287 Posts
you have a killer set-up with about a grand left over

GL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah whys your budget so high. The system im putting in my car consist of a set of Soundstream mid bass driver component set, Tarantula 6x9s Soundstream pro-12 in a ported fiberglass box. A Soundstream 1000D and a mids and highs amp w/ a Kenwood MP3 player and a factory nav housing w/ a Zenarc touchscreen for in car pc. All this priced out came to $2900.00. What kind of equipment are u lookin into buying? Can i help u in any way at getting something cheaper?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts