Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the compass integrated mirror in an '02 I drove. It's awesome and it's really useful as well.

My question is, does anyone know how hard this would be to put into an '01? I'm assuming you'd have to rip off the roof lining but is there another way? Thanks.

The '01 didn't have anything! :roll: :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
712 Posts
ISKid04 said:
I saw the compass integrated mirror in an '02 I drove. It's awesome and it's really useful as well.

My question is, does anyone know how hard this would be to put into an '01? I'm assuming you'd have to rip off the roof lining but is there another way? Thanks.

The '01 didn't have anything! :roll: :roll: :wink:
I also have an 01 and am quite irritated that we all got shafted. That issue aside there are 2 things that you can do...

1. Buy the 02 or 03 rearview compass mirror. It has auto-dimming and is very nice. Unfortunately have heard that it costs about $700 and the install is a bizzach

2. This is a bit more preactical. There is an aftermarked rearview mirror that u can buy. It also has the compass feature that you are looking for but does NOT dim like the factory mirror. I have seen it advertised in the very back of auto magazines as one of those small ads. I believe the price that they sell for is about $179 but I am not sure. THat install is a lot easier since it uses adhesive to hang onto the windshield and the battery can be replaced when needed. All you have to do is remove the factory mirror.

Just look in the back of any auto mag and you should find it. hope this info helps!

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Or you can buy a radar detector w/a built in compass. My last RD had this feature and yes, it was useful.

·
8,880 Posts
Spend $400 on a GPS system and if you find compass being useful, you'll be amazed as to what that thing can do. 8)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think Toyota make a compass non dimming mirror that will probably fit it for about 200 + install, but i'm not sure at ll. You would have to do some searching. Just out of curiosity, I just thought I'd ask since you live in we$t Plano if you are 16 and your parents just bought you the IS as your learner car. :) Ahh I'm just bustin on ya man. I used to live there myself off of Legacy. Way too much money rolling around there. Peace

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've seen this exact same rear view mirror advertised in an auto magazine ad as well, both with and without the auto-dimming. It looked exactly the same, which leads me to believe Toyota outsources to that company (or they both outsource to the same manufacturer). I've also seen the same mirror in an Infiniti.

So you can probably get it for cheaper aftermarket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts