Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im looking to improve my IS's suspension as I do not like the way it rides with the H&R springs --- will coilovers improve the ride? What can I expect? Is it what Im looking for? Is there something else I should consider -- also, does anyone know if the L-Sportline coilover set is any good? Many, many, thanks

aaron

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I have Tein HA coilovers, they are SEX. I have them set stiffer in the front than the rear. Spent about 2 weeks fine tuning them to make the car handle well. I really reccomend coilovers. Forget shocks and springs. I went that route on my last IS300, and I did not like the outcome except for the looks.

·
3,160 Posts
Malekreza11 said:
I have Tein HA coilovers, they are SEX. I have them set stiffer in the front than the rear. Spent about 2 weeks fine tuning them to make the car handle well. I really reccomend coilovers. Forget shocks and springs. I went that route on my last IS300, and I did not like the outcome except for the looks.
I've been saying this for a long time now.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Malekreza11 said:
So what are your HA settings?

Do you have a pic of the cold air intake?

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I have the front set at 7 from the left and the rear 9 clicks from the left. I offset the rear to be softer to dial out some of the natural oversteer the car exhibits. The Upper pillow mounts also really help in the steering feedback.

As for the cold air intake, I wont be post pics until its fully patented.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Malekreza11 said:
I have the front set at 7 from the left and the rear 9 clicks from the left. I offset the rear to be softer to dial out some of the natural oversteer the car exhibits. The Upper pillow mounts also really help in the steering feedback.

As for the cold air intake, I wont be post pics until its fully patented.
I usually start dialing at full firm and dial it back .. so you are dialing from 7 from full firm in front and 9 from full firm in rear.. I'll try it. That is pretty firm setting for street. I use similar setting when I go drifting. but I went 8 & 8.

Track - Full firm front and rear 4 click softer.

as for pillow mount.. I think the HA themselve are day / night compare to stock feel.. I don't have pillow mount and also no noise at all. I hope you don't have any noise.

CAI Patented?! I'm guessing cold air intake will need a hole drilled on the body to get to the area behind there passenger side fog light. Similar to Turbo pipings. Otherwise you need a pipe to go under the radiator cross member. than that will mean the pipe scraping all the time.. ..

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Yes, these settings are going backward from full firm. So pretty much the front is 2 clicks stiffer than the rear. I have yet to drive them on a softer setting. They are very stiff the way they are right now. The HA definetely is a big improvement from stock, no doubt about it, i can corner with these things are roughly 80 and still be ok. The tires give out much before the suspension reaches its limit. I want to go to Willow springs to fine tune these and to just practice at a much higher limit... I don't have noise on the coilovers except for the "whoosh" sound they make on speed bumps and wavy roads. They dont rattle or clank or anything dumb like that, they better NOT!!! hehe..

About the CAI... There is no other way to get down there other than drilling. Im sure you can devise a way, but its not effective, and the car will stall. I went through 6 various bends until i got the car running right. Either bend would either throw the CEL or the car would stall. In one case the car stalled right off of a start. I dont think patenting the intake is that wise of an idea anymore either because the market for intakes is pretty small these days for the IS300... I truly don't know....

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
lilaznboi said:
softening your coilovers will make your suspension have more "give" which might actually help you out if your tires aren't gripping as well.
yes, this is a good point. Allowing the suspension to have some give, allows you to utilize your camber better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.