Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand what is the biggest difference between the two. cause i keep seeing the two. but i'm not sure how they are different. BTW i'm noob so please dont be mean. in advance thanks for the help.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don't understand what is the biggest difference between the two. cause i keep seeing the two. but i'm not sure how they are different. BTW i'm noob so please dont be mean. in advance thanks for the help.
i'll spare you from the flaming. search is your friend.

coilovers = ride height adjustable, capable of being corner balanced, easier install, spring rates are customizable. adjustable perch for spring preload. valving is more aggressive to handle higher spring rates, adjustable damping (both compression/rebound together or separately). more expensive. highly recommended if you compete in autox, drag, or road racing regularly, needs routine maintenance (revalving)

shocks = limited adjustability (dependent on brand of shocks used), less aggressive shock valving, more for everyday driving and some occasional autox. ride height is dependent on springs used. no maintenance.

not all coilovers are the same, in fact, there are only a handful that are track worthy. it all depends on what your goals are, and how much money you got.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
i'll spare you from the flaming. search is your friend.

coilovers = ride height adjustable, capable of being corner balanced, easier install, spring rates are customizable. adjustable perch for spring preload. valving is more aggressive to handle higher spring rates, adjustable damping (both compression/rebound together or separately). more expensive. highly recommended if you compete in autox, drag, or road racing regularly, needs routine maintenance (revalving)

shocks = limited adjustability (dependent on brand of shocks used), less aggressive shock valving, more for everyday driving and some occasional autox. ride height is dependent on springs used. no maintenance.

not all coilovers are the same, in fact, there are only a handful that are track worthy. it all depends on what your goals are, and how much money you got.

well said, my only caveat has to do with your statement that shocks dont need maintenance. true they dont, but they they're done you replace them with new ones while coilovers can be rebuilt.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help so far guys. but shocks and springs are the same?

·
13,727 Posts
^^^^^
What they said. The adjustablity of coilovers are nice, but for a daily driver you may not ever adjust them. Choose wisely grasshopper.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Now I have questions on my own just before Im about to install drop springs on my car. Im planning to install tein s tech but do I need to change out my stock shocks. My current mileage is about 90k and I know theres alot of people here who have just switched just their springs for monetary reasons but do you think that I will blow my stock shocks since my mileage is so high? Would I be in dire need of new aftermarket shocks to handle the new load? Please HELP

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Putting the Tein springs on your stock shocks will add extra wear on them. Can't really tell you when they will go out, but it will be a LOT SOONER than if you left them alone. I recommend that while your at it you might as well get some new shocks (if you can afford it that is).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Putting the Tein springs on your stock shocks will add extra wear on them. Can't really tell you when they will go out, but it will be a LOT SOONER than if you left them alone. I recommend that while your at it you might as well get some new shocks (if you can afford it that is).
Ya im kind of in a tight budget right now. Im installing these springs myself which I got for less than $100. Which shocks would u recommend for a baller on a budget such as myself lol. I still want a decent product maybe used on the .net

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I think people match them with Tokico (mispelled?) shocks quite often. Try a search for "shocks" or "shock spring combination" or something like that. You get the idea. I myself am curious about this too. I can get teh Tein S Tech springs for like $100 new right now, but I don't know, I feel like I should just wait, however I really want to drop my car. I know what your going through. Just get some shocks though, that way you can do them both at once and save the oem parts you take off too. Its good to have them on the side for various reasons.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think people match them with Tokico (mispelled?) shocks quite often. Try a search for "shocks" or "shock spring combination" or something like that. You get the idea. I myself am curious about this too. I can get teh Tein S Tech springs for like $100 new right now, but I don't know, I feel like I should just wait, however I really want to drop my car. I know what your going through. Just get some shocks though, that way you can do them both at once and save the oem parts you take off too. Its good to have them on the side for various reasons.
Any other places besides Ebay to get cheap but new Tokico shocks? Im not ready to drop $270 for a set

1 - 12 of 12 Posts