Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I need help deciding on coil overs for my SX. I have done research on this topic on various forums and am still mostly undecided.

I am currently running Tein Basics but find the ride way too soft for the drop I want to do. I am running Varrstoen ES1 [18x9.50] on all four with 245/40/18 on the rear and 225/40/18 on the front. with about an inch to inch and a half wheel gap all around. It is currently on the highest setting to avoid tire rub.

I have had my fenders rolled and it has drastically reduced the rub. My front wheels [225/40/18] will be moved to the rear to provide further clearance and a pair of 215/40/18 are en route to wrap the front. Also, my rear passenger side rear wheels appears to be rubbing on my suspension but it only occurs when I reverse after my car has been sitting for a few hours.

I would like to eliminate that wheel gap with the intent of barely tucking the tire. Simply put; I want it to look clean. My two choices on coil overs are the Stance GR+ with 12KG in the front and 10KG in the rear [known available option from Sonic Motors, awaiting reply on any other available options] and and BC Racing with available spring rates[awaiting reply on what is available].

I plan on using the coil overs as a daily driver only and will only really tuck the wheels for shows and that's pretty much it. There are no plans to AutoX or drift.

I am currently leaning towards Stance Super Sports for their ability to go lower and they appear to be preferred for their build quality. The BC I am open to consider as well but the collars have to be removed in order to lower them as low as the Stance's.

Thanks again for the help and I brought this topic here because I wanted opinions from SportX owners. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
As long as you get coilovers where you can adjust the dampner to stiffen it up you will be fine. I am using TEIN Super Streets and can only say good things. My current wheels are Motegi 245/40/18x8.5 front and back. For the front I'm dropped as low as possible with turning..(about 1mm from the fender when I turn) and for the back I have it leveled with the front, which provides a low clean tuck. No fender rolls and no rub. I have the dampners set to really stiff, and for driveability it's definitely streetable (it's my DD). I never worry about pot holes or bumps. I do have to angle on rolled curbs and speed bumps, so the exhaust doesn't scrape.

·
Registered
79 Posts
adjusting the shock settings doesn't stiffen the ride, as the car is held up and sprung by the spring rates. The shock only slows the compression or rebound of the spring itself. IMO, he's correct in looking for a stiffer spring to accomplish his needs. Of the options listed, I like the Stance GR+. I wouldn't go with the pro's, I don't think the helper spring is worth it, and it's the only upgrade you get for the extra cost.

I would also consider this option: when is it rubbing? every bump or just cornering? If just when cornering, consider maintaining a softer spring rate and increasing the sway bar stiffness. Just a lateral thought.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info/suggestions justanothername and Raw0330!

I had a far longer response written out earlier but my page kept auto refreshing and clearing everything I wrote.

Anyways, I will be going for the Stance coilovers with a 12K front and 11K rear setting. For the time being, I will be seeing how low my Tein Basics will allow me to go while providing with realistic driveability.

I also changed up my front tires from the planned 215/40/18 to 225/40/18 all around. I chose to opt for the 225 and the 215 were not a realistic option for me after seeing how much hassle it is to fit them on my wheels and how sensitive they are to the driving conditions where I live. [The 215s unsealed a few hours after getting them mounted.]

@Raw: It usually rubs when I take a turn and hit a soft deep/high bump but that is pretty much it. I will definitely look into sway bar stiffness on top of the bushings I plan to replace further down the line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts