Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which is the most cost effective and will provide the smoothest ride. i am not positive what the difference is. what brand would you reccomend and why...im looking for something to lower my car and keep the ride as smooth as possible.. What do you think of tein coil overs vs. springs.. I understand there are alot of ?'s there.....in the long run im just looking for different opinions based on experiece....

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I'm also very interested in this too. I want to lower and increase power to my car, but want to keep the Lexus smooth ride. Why make our cars loud and bumpy..... like ricer civics. I heard the super charger from TBKO keeps the car sounding good, but I need to find a way to lower the car and keep a good ride.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Coilovers is definitely the way to go. Much more expensive, but much safer and better ride quality. Also, you can adjust the ride height and the comfort settings on most of them, depending on what brand you have.

Springs are for the people who just want it lowered for looks or for show. If you truly care about comfort, save up for coilovers. Springs are not completely uncomfortable, but they are not good for your suspension on stock shocks. If you go with springs, you *should* get aftermarket shocks too. If you do that, you're already in the $500-800 market, so might as well save a few extra hundred and get coils.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
this is an awkward post...
if you lower AND soften up the ride... you're asking for the car to bottom out every now and then.

plus, softening up the suspension means sacrificing cornering ability.

but... i guess to achieve that is to get a lowering springs and adjustable shocks set up at softest settings(i think that'll still be stiffer than stock tho).

since this post doesnt show interest in making the car to corner better, coilover system would be total waste of money;i guess using air ride system could be an option.

--
stiffer ride doesnt always mean loud and bumpy, it depends on the setup.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
10secondIS said:
Coilovers is definitely the way to go. Much more expensive, but much safer and better ride quality. Also, you can adjust the ride height and the comfort settings on most of them, depending on what brand you have.

Springs are for the people who just want it lowered for looks or for show. If you truly care about comfort, save up for coilovers. Springs are not completely uncomfortable, but they are not good for your suspension on stock shocks. If you go with springs, you *should* get aftermarket shocks too. If you do that, you're already in the $500-800 market, so might as well save a few extra hundred and get coils.
Thanks for the info. To blueIS, I do care about performance, but not so much that I have to hold onto the oh-shit handle and have a doggy bad next to me. I have too many friends that lower their cars cheeply, and it feels like we're driving through the Yukon in a wrangler. I know there is a good blend out there somewhere. The European cars are good at it, and nissan redisgned a version of the R34 GTR to be more European. They were finding that is was way to stiff to drive on free-ways (it was catching air sometimes), and made it softer, and then it turned out to improve overall performance..... well, got all this from a Mag from Australia...
Just asking about a known configuration that lowers the car thus improving handling, without comprimising TOO much on ride quality.
I also heard that coilovers are better for our car because unlike the Altezza, our car doesn't not have 50/50 dist. Well, again, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I agree with 10secondIS.... coil-overs all the way.....

depends on how much you spend, I would recommand you JIC-magic FLT-A2s, or Zeal....... I have FLT-A2, and I love it..... ride is good, and car handles much better......

hope this helps.....

oh, you can also do H&R springs with Kini adjustable shocks.... that works pretty good too..... but stiff.....

Shawn

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
ditto, i have FLT-A2 and i love them. i recently upgraded from 12kg to 14kg in the front and its amazing. the 12kg's are actualled tuned for the altezza and the 14's made a world of difference, the ride is much more comfortable now with the stiffer springs.

if you are looking for comfort look at the tein flex. if you are looking for performance get something like the JIC FLT-A2, Zeal, or APEX'i N1. and comfort is all relative, i find my car comfortable as it is. i know my mom wouldnt, but heck who's driving? =)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
well I currently have H&R springs on Bilstein shocks... The drop is a 2 inch drop and the the car in fact rides firmer and stiffer, no idle bounce going over speed bumps. I went with shocks and springs instead of coilovers coz it would be cheaper while ride is not sacrificed. I don't see the need for costly coilovers as the adjustability works well for people who race their car as well as using it for day to day drive. I however, only need it for the look and the better cornering yet retaining a ride close to stock. But if money isn't an issue, coilovers are the way to go however I oppose the thought of using aftermarket springs on stock shocks since the shocks will eventually wear out and u will need to spend extra time and money to replace the shocks... just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
251 Posts
if your not planning to go to the track and race. get springs/shocks combo.
i chose to get springs/shocks combo because im not gonna go race, and if i got coilovers, i would just adjust them once and get the right setting, and probably just leave them.

my set up was 170 for springs and 370 something for shocks. just search around and you can get good prices.

but if you really need that adjustabilitiy, then go for coilovers.

i drove my friends IS (binh) with tein coilovers, and it was definatly not as smooth as my ride. and i was on my stiffest setting.

so.. hope that helps a lil. good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts