Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Thanks Jason. That picture helps a lot. When I open mine up, it looked exactly like that except it was blacker and dirtier. I sprayed MAF cleaner inside, and used towel wrapped on a screw driver, and kept cleaning it. Lot of black stuff came out on the towel, but the inside of the TB still looks black as before. lol.

I think i'll have to go get myself carb cleaner, if that really works much better.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
btw, stupid question. What do you mean "turn the throttle body wheel?"
Yea, carb cleaner will break down the build up much faster and effectively. Just by you telling me it is filled with carbon tells me that cleaning it will most likely solve your problem. MAF spray is really only good for the MAF and electronic parts.

Without having to remove your throttle body and to do a good job at getting both sides, you'll have to turn the throttle wheel, the spring loaded wheel that the throttle cable is mounted on(also known as the accelerator pedal position sensor). That's just so you can turn the butterfly to get to both sides if it and the TB wall. It would be the same if you floored the gas pedal while cleaning. Make sure to take that plate on top off and spray the tiny holes below(plate that's on top of the TB-air assist as mentioned).

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Great news. I actually had TB cleaner lying around in my house, so I used that to clean a little more. I did turn the TB wheel to have butterfly open and cleaned the top inside a little but my screw driver was too thick to clean the bottom of the butterfly. The inside still does not look totally clean, and I still see the black circle, but I reset the ECU anyway to see whether it was enough.

So far, CEL has not come back! Typically, after I reset ECU and drive it for a few miles, CEL would always come back, but I've driven at least 10 miles, and my dashboard is still clean!! Knock on wood, it will stay this way.

Thanks so much Jason! You da best!

Now I need to figure out how to disable headlight adjustment. I'll figure that out on another thread.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Great news. I actually had TB cleaner lying around in my house, so I used that to clean a little more. I did turn the TB wheel to have butterfly open and cleaned the top inside a little but my screw driver was too thick to clean the bottom of the butterfly. The inside still does not look totally clean, and I still see the black circle, but I reset the ECU anyway to see whether it was enough.

So far, CEL has not come back! Typically, after I reset ECU and drive it for a few miles, CEL would always come back, but I've driven at least 10 miles, and my dashboard is still clean!! Knock on wood, it will stay this way.

Thanks so much Jason! You da best!

Now I need to figure out how to disable headlight adjustment. I'll figure that out on another thread.

Glad to hear no more CEL! You probably cleaned it well enough to where it's now operating correctly. Free fixes are the best:)

You're welcome, anytime.

Btw, here's a link to disable the headlight level malfunction and to keep the lights level. Not sure if that's what you were looking for.
http://my.is/forums/f64/is300-how-fix-broken-auto-leveling-free-342712/

21 - 25 of 25 Posts