Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
110,000 on original clutch and it's starting to slip.
What's the dealer going to charge me for a replacement?
Should I try a transmission service?
Stock or aftermarket parts?
TIA

·
Registered
121 Posts
110,000 on original clutch and it's starting to slip.
What's the dealer going to charge me for a replacement?
Should I try a transmission service?
Stock or aftermarket parts?
TIA
Had mine done at about 70K a few years ago. Took it to a local Lexus dealer 1st, they wanted $2,200. Ended up going with a local shop, they ended up machining the flywheel and used OEM parts for the rest. The total was about $1,100. It works ok, however, sometimes, there is an annoying squirting sound when the clutch in depressed. Took it back a few times, but the noise always comes back after a few weeks... work well, and I just gave up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
How much was labor for your guys' clutch change? As for the clutch options. Most people here like the centerforce dual friction clutch and fidanza flywheel combo. If you went 110k miles, your flywheel might be gone, but you never know until you open it and see. I would replace the flywheel just so you don't have to open it up again if the flywheel loses its surface. Do a search, you'll find a lot of good testimonies regarding which combo.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i just had a quote from my dealer (just for kicks) to get my clutch and flywheel changed out if needed

reman clutch - $143.26
disc assy - $80.81
both bearings - $93.92
flywheel - $1,415.32 !!!!!!!

all parts + tax = $1,837.31

labor = $970

EVERYTHING - $2,807.31

ha.. upon hearing this my jaw almost hit the floor, but i should have braced myself just buying a Lexus.

·
Registered
425 Posts
i just had a quote from my dealer (just for kicks) to get my clutch and flywheel changed out if needed

reman clutch - $143.26
disc assy - $80.81
both bearings - $93.92
flywheel - $1,415.32 !!!!!!!

all parts + tax = $1,837.31

labor = $970

EVERYTHING - $2,807.31

ha.. upon hearing this my jaw almost hit the floor, but i should have braced myself just buying a Lexus.
Don't feel bad my man....I just got quoted $2980 or so (before tax....after tax it obviously broke $3k) for everything done by a SHOP!!! That's including everything you listed, plus the MT gear oil, etc etc.

V.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The flywheel is insanely expensive to replace. When my clutch went I just went to a single disk supra which is quite a bit better any way as far as throttle response.

·
Registered
90 Posts
3k to change out a clutch... ridiculous. i wonder if thats a record in quotes for that.

i was losing mine and yesterday it went out completely. it'll probably come out in pieces because i kept trying to put it back in gear hoping it would grab.. with no success. coasting to the end of the off ramp and had to walk home because i had no cell phone =/ i never smelled a clutch so bad untill i got out!

anyway i found plenty of good DIY info in the search but not too many documentary pictures (just to make things go a little more smoothly) i plan on going with the Centerforce Dual Friction and Fidanza combo ftw.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was quoted $3500 for a clutch replacement, so I might have you beat. In all reality, I've found that labor runs $600-$900 plus parts. There is a nice little package from TH Motorsports that looks to be a good replacement when it's time.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Just do it yourself. It's not hard.

Take it to some local place. Just get a aftermarket flywheel, new clutch disc, fluid, throw out bearing, etc... everything you'll need, and take it to some local service shop place.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oleg-- you had that squirting noise too? Has yours gone away or do you know what causes it? My mechanic thought I was crazy and hearing things and I could not duplicate the sound for him.
It never went away... I can only hear it in the summer, winters are fine. They told me it was a heat shield, buy I think they just did not want to figure out what it was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.