Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....it has been a couple days since I visited lexus and they are suppose to fix my clutch spring and bushing. Today while I was driving I heard a snap......the clutch felt softer but everything was still okay. I went to pick up my friend and took a peep under there and found that the whole spring for the clutch has been detached. The clutch pedal feels a lot softer right now and it almost feel like the gas pedal where you have an inch or so to push down before anything really happens. Could there be any hazards of driving without that spring. I think the only thing it does it make the pedal come up faster.

While I was driving after.....I noticed the clutch feels a lot better than without that spring. I think im feeling how you cdd-less people are. The car doesnt jerk after getting off 1st. Everything seems to shift and bite so smoothly. What is going on? Im guessing the pressure the spring produced is gone making the clutch very soft. I think this is the best my clutch ever felt although Im worried some other things will snap and ill be doomed.

·
Registered
698 Posts
What clutch spring are you talking about?...Did you do the TDD mod?...Save your money and do an ACT clutch or something similar...IMO the stock clutch sucks a$$...Let me know if you need info for the install...I got the tech manual for changing the clutch...BTW changing the clutch on an IS is a bitch but doable if you're mechanically inclined...

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The spring when you peek under the steering wheel....check by the clutch...there is a spiral spring about 1cm thick...that thing came off the bushing and then broke while I tried to reinstall it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sounds like the it has to do with the TDD mod...That piece is rubbish...If lexus fixes it under warranty, make sure you do the TDD mod...you wont be disappointed...

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Kingu 808 said:
Sounds like the it has to do with the TDD mod...That piece is rubbish...If lexus fixes it under warranty, make sure you do the TDD mod...you wont be disappointed...
wtf???

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
The TDD mod is for the gas pedal, not the clutch.

E12iC46, I wish I could answer any of your questions. I am very curious though...

Are you sure that the pedal is coming up more slowly now? My clutch comes up slowly to begin with (still have the CDD). Any slower and I'd think you're really wearing your clutch out more than you need to be when releasing.

I'd suggest doing a clutch dump (from neutral to neutral), but I don't know if you'd be putting any extra strain on anything. This will definitely give you an indication of how quickly the clutch is coming back up.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clutch is coming back up....it just feels a little soft...almost as if there is padding. This has nothing to do wid the tdd mod....yea thats for the gas pedal. Although I did that the tdd mod thing off because I would end up wasting more gas then needed. I have yet to do the cdd mod....gotta get the brake union from napas....

The spring actually does a lot...with and without it..you can tell a difference. But all I have to say is it feels way better without the spring...I wonder if there is a spring that has less tension that will fit our is300...I think this would be a cool mod to do.

·
Registered
732 Posts
^^ Funny you should post about this. I have had this issue for over 6 months and been driving like that. My girl was driving my car and said that she thought she heard something break on the clutch when she pushed it down(I was not in the car at the time) but I have been driving it like that every since with no problems. I have a Clutch masters FX200 and works fine. Last night I have to check some fuses in the drivers side kick panel and pulled the panel off and the spring fell out. Now I am wondering the same thing as you. Do I need to get this fixed? Good luck and let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Kingu 808 said:
Sorry, Im a freaking idiot...For some reason I was thinking about the TDD spring...My bad...

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ezzejacobs said:
^^ Funny you should post about this. I have had this issue for over 6 months and been driving like that. My girl was driving my car and said that she thought she heard something break on the clutch when she pushed it down(I was not in the car at the time) but I have been driving it like that every since with no problems. I have a Clutch masters FX200 and works fine. Last night I have to check some fuses in the drivers side kick panel and pulled the panel off and the spring fell out. Now I am wondering the same thing as you. Do I need to get this fixed? Good luck and let me know how it goes.
So im guessing that spring has been sitting up there for the past 6 months? Dont you think the clutch feels much better? I would get it fixed if I were you. I think it could have a chance of wearing ur clutch faster than usual since it comes up slower. My car is under warranty so im not worried...they are also ordering the part today. It could of been caused by the bushing not holding the spring. There is a little white piece that the spring stick through.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yeah, the clutch feels great. I am going to get it fixed ASAP. But, I am out of warranty right now and I will have to do it myself to save some $$$. In regards to the bushing that is what broke and I think I can get that piece and fix it.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That piece should cost no more than $5...its a little piece of plastic I think. Smaller than a dime.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yeah, I saw mine and still have it its broke into two pieces. I get it from toyota or lexus parts dept. Tomarrow. Did your get fixed yet? And how does it feel now?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ezzejacobs said:
Yeah, I saw mine and still have it its broke into two pieces. I get it from toyota or lexus parts dept. Tomarrow. Did your get fixed yet? And how does it feel now?
Nope..my bushing broke and so did my spring. I was trying to install the spring back myself and the stupid thing snapped on me. I jus told the dealer it snapped by itself...they said it's gonna take a couple days for them to get the spring in...so yea...im jus driving like how you were.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hopefully mine will go in easier, if not I will just have to try and pay to get it fixed.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ezzejacobs said:
Hopefully mine will go in easier, if not I will just have to try and pay to get it fixed.
Did you notice you used up gas faster? I think im trippin but my car has been eating a lot of gas ever since this clutch thing happened....it looks like everytime I drive...the fkn bar is moving.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I think mine does that anyway from my driving habits :rebel: But, I think I notice a bit of difference myself included.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Kingu 808 said:
What clutch spring are you talking about?...Did you do the TDD mod?...Save your money and do an ACT clutch or something similar...IMO the stock clutch sucks a$$...Let me know if you need info for the install...I got the tech manual for changing the clutch...BTW changing the clutch on an IS is a bitch but doable if you're mechanically inclined...

send me this manual please asap.

[email protected]

·
Registered
732 Posts
Its probabaly the same manual you can get from the Techinfo site. It can be downloaded but takes awhile and lots of paper. Here's the site if it helps- Lexus Tech site By the way it cost like $10.00 a day or 30 amonth to use it and register. Let me know if this helps. Other wise I could send the section on the clutch if you pm or AIM me. (Same Sig. 0n AIM)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts