Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago I posted about my car shuddering when pulling away from a stop. This happend mostly when cold but had been getting worse, to the point where I could feel a mild shudder even when the car was fully warmed up. I figured I was eventually headed to the dealer. Over the last couple of weeks however, the shudder has dropped in intensity and is now pretty much gone.

I've been driving in a way that avoids the shuddering because I didn't want to start setting up chatter wear patterns on the flywheel and pressure plate. If you have ever seen these parts removed from a car with a bad chattering problem, you know what I mean!

I think concentrating on being smooth and avoiding letting the shudder occur has corrected the situation.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
clutch shudder is often caused by uneven wear patterns on the clutch disc, and in some cases, metal pieces from the flywheel itself getting inbedded into the clutch disc.

Over time, the disc will wear smooth and the metal pieces will be worn off. The clutch will naturally smooth itself out, causing the shutter to dissappear.

The only downfall to this, can be thought of just as a tire that wore its outer edge because of bad alignment. As soon as you align the car, the tires will wear faster than ever since only half the tread is truly touching the road. Same thing happens to your clutch. If only 50% of the surface is touching the flywheel do to uneven wear, it will wear down extremely fast until maximum gripping surface is back.

So now that your shudder is gone, it seems as though your surface has smoothed out, however unfortunately, if you had shudder for a long period of time, you also took many many miles off your clutch.

The silver lining... this happened to me right around 15-20k miles. My clutch started slipping even though the shudder was now gone right around 20k miles. Dealership replaced the clutch with no hesitation.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
^^^ Wow. I thought the clutch was not a warrantied part. What did you say to them to make them fix it?

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
okwiater said:
^^^ Wow. I thought the clutch was not a warrantied part. What did you say to them to make them fix it?

Well, Im not saying that they would replace the clutch if it was worn after 60k miles. I only had 20k miles though.

And honestly, I didnt say a thing.
They just took care of it.

If I had to guess why it was gone at 20k, I would have to blame the CCD device which caused many clutch burning takeoffs.

Seems they may have replaced the CCD since I no longer have the clutch takeup problem (granted, I havent done any hard launches either).

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
HoustonLex said:
Well, Im not saying that they would replace the clutch if it was worn after 60k miles. I only had 20k miles though.

If I had to guess why it was gone at 20k, I would have to blame the CCD device which caused many clutch burning takeoffs.

Seems they may have replaced the CCD since I no longer have the clutch takeup problem (granted, I havent done any hard launches either).
So are you saying that modifying the CDD is not recommended by you because it causes premature wear on the clutch?

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
JDM_SXE-10 said:
HoustonLex said:

So are you saying that modifying the CDD is not recommended by you because it causes premature wear on the clutch?

quite the opposite... my car was/is stock. The CDD is what I believe caused the premature clutch wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts