Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after less than 20,000 miles, I need to replace my clutch... Iv'e searched IS300.net and the internet. The best that I can find is an ACT clutch. The application chart show a TS3-HDMM (heavy duty pressure plate with a modified street disc). ACT's web site says, in theory, that you can upgrade the components. They say that you can get a TS3-XTSS (extreme duty pressure plate with a performance organic street pressure plate. Has anybody out there been able to order the later?

The motor used in the IS appears to be the same one used in the non-turbo MKIII Supra, the non-turbo MKIV Supra, and the ES300. I am pretty sure the Supras had clutches; not so for the ES. The tranny may not be shared amoung all the cars (IS included). This may be another source.
 

·
Am I Hype-R???
Joined
·
13,617 Posts
isin said:
The motor used in the IS appears to be the same one used in the non-turbo MKIII Supra, the non-turbo MKIV Supra, and the ES300. I am pretty sure the Supras had clutches; not so for the ES. The tranny may not be shared amoung all the cars (IS included). This may be another source.
just an FYI...it's the same block as in the NA MKIV (2JZA80) not same as the 3rd gen...the 3rd gen used an entirely diff block...the ES300 is a transverse (FWD) V6...TOTALLY diff from the IS...the transmission on the IS and the NA MKIV's were different as well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input.

The RPS clutch has an increase of only 10% over stock. The ACT basic street set-up has a 35% increase. They are about the same price from the various web sites.

Anybody have experience with ACT clutch sets?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
The percentage is th eincrease in pressure, ie the pedal. I installed the max pp with a solid hub 6 puck on an IS with a PFS stage 2, and it is holding well, just a little touchy due to the solid hub and a one piece lightend flywheel. put it grabs when you want it to.

Let me know which set up you are thinking of, and i will set you up with one.

+shipping

sreet disk sport $285
sprung hub 6 puck sport $340
street disk max $360
sprung hub 6 puck max $415

KAAZ LDS for $800

All are ew, I am distributer for both. I ship out of so cal.

Thanks guys and gals
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,107 Posts
yeah, last night i messed up my clutch, i was at a dead stop, and i wanted to launch my car, then i drop @ 4k...the clutch catched, spun, then went into second, spun, then the rpms shot, up the car didnt move, 3rd and 4th,( felt like nothgi was going no acceleration)(neutral) when all the way though, ( i talked to freelance, -the computer disengaged the clutch, so it didnt like kill it or whatnot...) but its deffinatlly is a lil bit different now, my error or w/e...but i got to get it check out ....any ideas...?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
I have the extreme pressure plate from ACT on another car that also has a hydraulic assisted clutch and it is really heavy! I don't recommend it for daily driving. I have heard nothing but good things about RPS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bpointer, you were correct. According to ACT, the IS has a double mass flywheel. They do not recommend installing their TS3-HDMM clutch kit as they were not sure if the MM (modified street dosc) would work. Apparently I am the first one to request a replacement...

It's unfortunate since I had heard good things about their clutches and had lined-up an installer in the Bay Area :( The installer is looking into another manufacturer; they do not recommend Centerfource as they tend to have to replace them (with ACTs) in other cars.

The search goes on...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,072 Posts
LexIS307 said:
yeah, last night i messed up my clutch, i was at a dead stop, and i wanted to launch my car, then i drop @ 4k...the clutch catched, spun, then went into second, spun, then the rpms shot, up the car didnt move, 3rd and 4th,( felt like nothgi was going no acceleration)(neutral) when all the way though, ( i talked to freelance, -the computer disengaged the clutch, so it didnt like kill it or whatnot...) but its deffinatlly is a lil bit different now, my error or w/e...but i got to get it check out ....any ideas...?
I've dropped the clutch a few times and it will feel funny for a couple of days and then pretty much go back to normal. The first time it happened, I thought i completely destroyed the clutch, but it was ok after a little time. I haven't dropped it in a while since i don't really want to waste money on a new clutch and tires any more often than i need to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,107 Posts
XCstud said:
LexIS307 said:
yeah, last night i messed up my clutch, i was at a dead stop, and i wanted to launch my car, then i drop @ 4k...the clutch catched, spun, then went into second, spun, then the rpms shot, up the car didnt move, 3rd and 4th,( felt like nothgi was going no acceleration)(neutral) when all the way though, ( i talked to freelance, -the computer disengaged the clutch, so it didnt like kill it or whatnot...) but its deffinatlly is a lil bit different now, my error or w/e...but i got to get it check out ....any ideas...?
I've dropped the clutch a few times and it will feel funny for a couple of days and then pretty much go back to normal. The first time it happened, I thought i completely destroyed the clutch, but it was ok after a little time. I haven't dropped it in a while since i don't really want to waste money on a new clutch and tires any more often than i need to.
right on the money, its fine now, but OH MAN, i thought i was in DEEP dog shit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
goldznnz,

According to my installer, the solid disc is normally used for the street. A 4 puck or 6 puck are for high-horsepower motors. The implication was that they were used for drag racing and not practical for street.

Well, the saga goes on. ACT said that they had a clutch kit for my car. My garage pulled the tranny and checked the fit. The disc had springs (like most car clutches) that would hit the flywheel bolts. So.. the only option at this time is to install a ACT pressure plate and a stock disc; I am not too happy with this solution but need to get my car back.

I let you know how it drives with this combination..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,416 Posts
hchan said:
Get the PHR cltuch... it's a solid disc w/ nonsprung hub. It's stiffer than stock but definately not too bad at all.
I have told people this from the beginning and people still insist on using the ACT clutches. I guess I just don't understand.... :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
Wxman said:
hchan said:
Get the PHR cltuch... it's a solid disc w/ nonsprung hub. It's stiffer than stock but definately not too bad at all.
I have told people this from the beginning and people still insist on using the ACT clutches. I guess I just don't understand.... :-?
PHR's clutch setup is very similar to that of the stock V160 clutch. It utilizes a nonsprung hub just like the v160's and in fact... if I'm not mistaken it's the same disc as the factory v160.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Hmmm ... I don't recommend a non-sprung clutch. You're more likely to break your already weak transmission. Do a little research on sprung vs unsprung.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
turbo97se said:
Hmmm ... I don't recommend a non-sprung clutch. You're more likely to break your already weak transmission. Do a little research on sprung vs unsprung.
I believe most of the broken trannys with clutches other than stock were actually sprung.

Wxman is still good so far - so it must be the clutch + his driving skill.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top