Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from my car i noticed that the engagement is really high, as well as every time i finish driving, i smell the scent of a burning clutch, im wondering my car has only 54,000km? i've been driving stick for 2 years now, so i dont think its my driving, i dont feel any slippage or anything. i bought my car used as 2003, so would the 6-yr powertrain warrenty still be valid?

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you smell burning clutch, it's slipping. I doubt you'll have any luck getting it covered under warranty since the clutch is a wear item. If you bitch and moan enough, they may split the cost with you, but by the time you add in a new flywheel and stealership labor rates, you'll be splitting half of $3000+ with them. Just use this as an excuse to give yourself a nice performance upgrade. The 32 lb stock flywheel is a big power robber. Buy a Fidanza Flywheel and an ACT Street Clutch Kit and have it installed. The whole thing will cost you around $1100-$1200 installed ($800 parts, $300-$400 install at a local shop) and you'll have a stronger, longer lasting clutch along with a faster car. The guys at NipponPower.com are very helpful with recommendations and parts.

BTW, if you take it easy on the throttle and hard shifting, you should be able to get by for a while yet. That will give you additional time (should you need it) to set aside funds for the clutch swap. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
NO! I bought my car brand new with Cash and my clutch went out at 47,000 miles. Lexus told me that since its a wearable part it's not covered warranty. Where they then preoceeded to tell me it'll be $2200 to replace a clutch. Lol..

FYI, do yourself the favor and go aftermarket clutch and flywheel! I just finished mine and Love it! It still even feels stock. I've got a few other posts where I discuss my clutch issues. Hope that helped some. Good Luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finally the clutch has gone, no clamping at all, went from un-noticable slip to perminate slip. well i talk to the dealer about the drivetrain warrenty and complained for endless hours, i talk them down to paying 50% labour and parts. since now i have an excuse to upgrade clutch, what would u guys think would be better? the ACT street clutch or the clutchmaster stage1/2 ? ACT i have offered for me for $500, and the clutchmaster at $580.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts