Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so I am swapping in the W58 tranny from a '92 5spd SC300 into my 02 5spd, while I am at it I am also going to replace the Clutch with an AM, but I was planning on keeping the OEM flywhel.

The issue I encountered with the AM Clutch fitment was that the Centerforce (clutch I was planning on using) only comes in a sprung design which won't match up with the OEM flywheel which is also sprung (Dual Mass). Everyone on here that I know of has used a Centerforce clutch with an AM flywheel (which is a solid mass), not sprung.
Does anyone know anyone using a Centerforce clutch with an OEM flywheel?

My goal is to keep a daily driver that will last upward of 200,000 miles with moderately agressive driving habits while handling many N/A performance mods (planning race & mid pipe & SRT intake). So the setup doesn't need to hold more then 300 hp. So I don't need a heavy ACT clutch because that will increase tranny stress which means it won't/might not last as long.

What I am planning on doing is getting the:
1) Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Kit (found online for $284 shipped), pm for site address
2) Used Unorthodox Lightweight Flywheel (to deal with fitment issue)

With the centerforce clutch, I got it for an SC300 (since that is the tranny, W58, I am dropping in). I know that you have to swap on the W55 bellhousing...so is fitment going to be a problem...I don't think it will be since '03IntensaBlueBeast already did the Centerforce clutch on the W55 tranny...pretty sure he still has stock tranny since he didn't mention a swap.

I am kind of bummed because since I am not going F/I (at least not anytime in the foreseeable future) I don't think I will get the benefits of the lightened flywheel, but I will have to deal with the negative of the rough 1st gear take-off....not too keen on that for a daily driver with 35,000 a year on miles. The reason I went this way is because the cost of the used flywheel and Centerforce combo is only $30 more then using the OEM flywheel and getting a SPEC stg 2 clutch that is unsprung. The other option is to keep the OEM flywheel and OEM clutch (new for $175 from the dealer). Do people think staying stock is a better option for my goal? I am concerned about the stock clutch not holding up...should I be?

Thoughts? Thanks,
Patrick

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
The stock clutch will not hold up even with a stock car if you are aggressive enough. I dont know how many times I have come close to spinning the clutch and quickly backed off. If you are going thru all this trouble, there is NO reason to stay with the 32lb stock flywheel. Just get the UR light weight flywheel and the Centerforce. the shudder is only at launch (per another member with the same setup), and you get worse launch characteristics stock with the CDD in anyway. This car stock is the hardest manual to drive smooth for me and I have driven a few even one with an ultra-light flywheel (approx. 8lbs)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just adding to kponti but the IS clutches dont hold up at all, after a year of having my '04 and just being a little agressive it went out, 3000 to fix...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks for the confirmation guys...I did decide to go with a used UR lightweight flywheel (sucks I have to replace the heat shield, inserts, but it rocks knowing that I can always replace the heat shield for $120 rather then getting a brand new flywheel for $1000 from Lexus if I ever need to replace it in the future!). Also I am going with the Centerforce DF clutch...all this will be mated withe the W58 tranny, can't wait...hopefully the install will start tomorrow or Sat.

·
Registered
69 Posts
centerforce does not last very long, so not worth the money, exedy better for your money and good driving feel almost like stock, i would go with exedy over centerforce, act or clutch master.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
mine lasted 23000 miles

·
Registered
235 Posts
72K on the stock clutch and I beat the hell out of it. I am starting to get a little chatter now though.

Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts