Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any places that people have ordered replacement clutches from?

Looking into just something a lil better than stock. Maybe an exedy or act or centerforce.

I just want it to feel somewhat like stock, if not damn near it.

Anyone have suggestions?

Do I need/have to have a sprung clutch?

Something to hold me over till next year.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Is there any places that people have ordered replacement clutches from?

Looking into just something a lil better than stock. Maybe an exedy or act or centerforce.

I just want it to feel somewhat like stock, if not damn near it.

Anyone have suggestions?

Do I need/have to have a sprung clutch?

Something to hold me over till next year.
If you are looking for something just temporary why not just get a stock disk? That should hold you over for sure. If not, I hear the RPS system is fairly good and the ACT one is nice too.

You only need a sprung clutch if you got rid of the dual mass flywheel.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I had the ACT stage 2 installed, feels great and its strong, although its kinda rough engaging but hey its worth the money

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
how rough is the engagement, I dont want anything jerky, but if it will hold up to me beating on it thats fine.

ok, sounds good. probably will go with a stock but I was seeing what the majority had.

Do i just need the disc or do i need the whole assembly?

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you have the money, personally I would upgrade to a lightweight flywheel with a sprung clutch. Unless of course you are going to swap transmissions when your construction project is over.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My clutch is gone as well. It's being replaced this week. ACT clutch and Fidanza flywheel. You might as well replace your flywheel. Easier to rev match and freeing up a small amount of horsepower is worth it in my opinion. I got over 100K miles out of the stock setup so I won't complain.:cool:

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, tranny guru's needed.

If I have a W58 transmission, and I get a lightweight flywheel, say from fidanza, and a sprung "stage 1 " clutch from exedy/act/ whatever...

what type should the clutch/flywheel be, is300/w55 or sc300/w58?

can you interchange the clutches since they share the same bellhousing?

since the flywheel is on a 2jz engine does it matter if its is300/sc300 specific?

Here's my thoughts, let me know if i am wrong, buy the fallowing...

-lightweight fidanza flywheel for is300/w55
- stock/stage 1 clutch from exedy/act/whatever for an sc300/w58

will that work when i put it all together?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Ok, tranny guru's needed.

If I have a W58 transmission, and I get a lightweight flywheel, say from fidanza, and a sprung "stage 1 " clutch from exedy/act/ whatever...

what type should the clutch/flywheel be, is300/w55 or sc300/w58?

can you interchange the clutches since they share the same bellhousing?

since the flywheel is on a 2jz engine does it matter if its is300/sc300 specific?

Here's my thoughts, let me know if i am wrong, buy the fallowing...

-lightweight fidanza flywheel for is300/w55
- stock/stage 1 clutch from exedy/act/whatever for an sc300/w58

will that work when i put it all together?

I ran a RPS with a w58(2) on my car when I had it and would highly recommend it. I put in a RPS turbo max clutch with a street disc. I had little/no clutch slip whatsoever and the driveablility was great. I choose this setup b/c I wanted the clutch to be the weak link in the driveline instead of the w58. At my power level(467rwhp), I was capable, and did, break the tranny, which would have only been expidited by the 6 puck disc, which places a lot of stress on the tranny through it "grabbing" engagement.

You should expect the clutch depression to be much stiffer though and the engagement required very slight release. The prices have gone up slightly but if you search around I wouldnt be too concerned.

As far as the flywheel goes, I wouldnt change it out for a findanza. IMO the stock flywheel is just fine and if your gonna swap it out go with someone else. (I think the RPS flywheel unit is nice too)

Personally, with the w58, I would keep it bare bones and not waste the money on a mediocre tranny swap.. save it for the real deal.

...oh, and you buy the clutch system for the is300

RPS MAX Series

Lexus IS 300 ~ 2500 lb.
Part #: MS-14522-ST
Description: MAX pressure plates offer 400 to 600 pounds of extra clamping force to hold your biggest power. Pedal feel is stiff to very stiff and engages smooth. RPS is the only clutch company with a U.S. Patent (#5,769,973) on their single diaphragm pressure plate technology. Our unique dual diaphragm technollogy allows us to create almost any clutch unit with any pressure ranging from stock to double stock in 100 pound increments.
Torque Cap: 480 Pressure Increase: +60%
Price: $581.74

or.....

Lexus IS 300 ~ 2500 lb.
Part #: MS-14522-SP
Description: Description: MAX pressure plates offer 400 to 600 pounds of extra clamping force to hold your biggest power. Pedal feel is stiff to very stiff and engages quick and smooth. RPS is the only clutch company with a U.S. Patent (#5,769,973) on their single diaphragm pressure plate technology. Our unique dual diaphragm technollogy allows us to create almost any clutch unit with any pressure ranging from stock to double stock in 100 pound increments.
Torque Cap: 550 Pressure Increase: +60%
Price: $673.60

Good Luck.

- Colin

Reactions: IS_BoostByPsi

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+rep is300cb, thanks a ton! the reason i am going w58 is because I like to drag race, and the w55 wont hold the power of the new motor. Also the 5th gear is longer for highway commutes, so winwin situation.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
i have the clutchmasters FX200 stage 2 full kevlar face clutch for sale. stock clutch feel, but holds 70% more torque and the clutch disc lasts alot longer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Everyone has their own opinions when it comes to clutches. I just finished installing the Fidanza Lightwieght flywheel and SPEC stage 2+ clutch. Oh, BTW (the unorthodox Racing flywheel used to be made by Fidanza) so no real need in paying the extra $$$. Keep in mind, the SPEC clutch isn't sprung. and Neither are any of the lightweight flys. So my combo is an unsprung setup and is going to be alot more stiff. But... the install isn't that bad at all!.

·
Registered
75 Posts
IS_BoostByPsi you mentioned you like to drag race. Have you thought about replacing your final drive ratio to something like 4.11? That coupled with a w58 plus a lightned flywheel should give you better acceleration and gearing and even a taller 5th gear. A 5th gear that we could actually get some use out of. But since I've had my ACT clutch and Fidanza flywheel I think the overall feel of the car is more responsive.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I do like to drag, but I hardly would ever use 5th in a street/strip race. I would rather keep the gearing on the 5th gear and keep highway cruising ability. Thanks for the thought though.

Can I run a sprung clutch with a lightweight flywheel? How is this going to effect drivablility?

Why is sprung so important to our flywheel vs. a lightweight flywheel?

I was thinking a lightweight flywheel (UR or Fidanza) with either an RPS stg 1 or exedy stg 1 , Both sprung clutches. Yay or nay?

Here is a pic of the exedy, and it doesnt look sprung though...

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I like the ACT stage 2. Yeah the engangement kicks a bit no matter how easy you shift but its bearable. Only person that complains is my GF's sister, an then I really dot give a f**k about her anyways so w.e.

It holds power much better than stock though worth the money. Actually it was cheaper than a stock.

IF your going to ADD more POWER you NEED a stronger clutch...

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can I run a sprung clutch with a lightweight flywheel?

Recommended?

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
either the flywheel or the clutch should be sprung for the sake of driveability, lightweight flywheels are typically unsprung, so yes, you want a sprung clutch.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Most clutches will be sprung i do believe. Although I know SPEC doesn't offer a sprung clutch for the IS. With that being said... I LOVE my unsprung Spec/Fidanza setup.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The is300 stock clutch is sprung right? Anyone have a picture of it? Cause I got my new clutch and its unsprung and they (exedy) are telling me that the stock is300 clutch is not sprung.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts