Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know a good shop that knows the IS that can do it for a reasonable price? i got quoted $800 for a 8-9 hr install which seems on the high side? and my guy who works at toyota says he cant do it cause the IS will stick out :( i have no idea how long it should take. i've read anywhere from 5-9 hours, and some ppl paying as low as $400 up to $600. tho everything up north seems more expensive...

so anyway, anyone know a good shop? i'm in Dorchester so obviously the closer the better but i can go to anywhere within a reasonable distance. i have all the parts for an N/A Supra clutch install. preferably someone who has done it on the IS before.

Thanks

·
Banned
12,268 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
tedious and paying attention. Can be done in a weekend. A lift helps, and/or a few specialized tools. I like my floor style trans jack. Helps so I don't have to bench press transmissions into place any more. Also, I have a 30" 1/2" to 3/8" impact extension. That with swivel sockets will really help reach the upper bellhousing bolts, and in this case the upper starter bolt. Torque wrenches are a MUST for flywheel and clutch bolts. You do not want to have to do it over.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That seems a bit high in price just for a clutch install.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great meeting you and glad we could get it done for you.

Great setup!
Yeh if anyone needs any work done in the MA area, i had RAW0330 who i found on another forum do the work for me. he's out in Easton and did a great job!

·
Registered
79 Posts
That seems a bit high in price just for a clutch install.
In Mass, specifically the metro Boston and surrounding area where we are current dealer labor rates hover around the $110-$125/hour range Pricing is reasonable for market area.

Yeh if anyone needs any work done in the MA area, i had RAW0330 who i found on another forum do the work for me. he's out in Easton and did a great job!
Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it!

·
Banned
12,268 Posts
tedious and paying attention. Can be done in a weekend. A lift helps, and/or a few specialized tools. I like my floor style trans jack. Helps so I don't have to bench press transmissions into place any more. Also, I have a 30" 1/2" to 3/8" impact extension. That with swivel sockets will really help reach the upper bellhousing bolts, and in this case the upper starter bolt. Torque wrenches are a MUST for flywheel and clutch bolts. You do not want to have to do it over.
Yeah, without the 30 (or was it 36 inch I had) extension it would be impossible to get to those bolts. We also used a jack to push the tranny back into place, no way in hell I was going to try to push that up. Car was fairly low, used a truck jack to raise the front and set it on ramps.

Also, some people say to disconnect the radiator hoses etc, meh, we didn't even loosen the engine mounts, just jacked the front of the engine a bit and it tilted enough for all the bolts/ dropping the tranny.

I saw this thread on YR today, my buddy is the one that said that it took us ~8 hours total on there.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah, without the 30 (or was it 36 inch I had) extension it would be impossible to get to those bolts. We also used a jack to push the tranny back into place, no way in hell I was going to try to push that up. Car was fairly low, used a truck jack to raise the front and set it on ramps.

Also, some people say to disconnect the radiator hoses etc, meh, we didn't even loosen the engine mounts, just jacked the front of the engine a bit and it tilted enough for all the bolts/ dropping the tranny.

I saw this thread on YR today, my buddy is the one that said that it took us ~8 hours total on there.
the matt help u the process or was he just screwing around?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
12,268 Posts
the matt help u the process or was he just screwing around?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Of course, did it in their garage. He wasn't screwing around, he's like me - get shit done, get it over with, let's just say that this was 10x easier than his MR2

Oh, haven't logged on YR in like a year, I hope you're feeling fine man, I really didn't know :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Of course, did it in their garage.

Oh, haven't logged on YR in like a year, I hope you're feeling fine man :)
dude you need to tag along with matt to meets and stuff, and stop working your ass off lol. i still havent seen your car with the ait front. even peta showed up to a yr C&C. we three need to show force of the ait fronts lol...

·
Banned
12,268 Posts
dude you need to tag along with matt to meets and stuff, and stop working your ass off lol. i still havent seen your car with the ait front. even peta showed up to a yr C&C. we three need to show force of the ait fronts lol...
Lol, are we really the three Ma$$holes with the AIT? At least you got foglights.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Lol, are we really the three Ma$$holes with the AIT? At least you got foglights.
you, me, and peta. i think there is a another northshore guy with a silver is300 with a ait front. actually i returned the fogs cuz it was broken (ebay return win) and ive been reading lately the fogs don't bolt up to the ait front

·
Apricot idea killer
18,211 Posts
In Mass, specifically the metro Boston and surrounding area where we are current dealer labor rates hover around the $110-$125/hour range Pricing is reasonable for market area.

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it!
Feel like a massive IS300 disassembly?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you, me, and peta. i think there is a another northshore guy with a silver is300 with a ait front. actually i returned the fogs cuz it was broken (ebay return win) and ive been reading lately the fogs don't bolt up to the ait front
do you guys run your AITs in the winter? it's on my to get list.. just dont want to deal with it breaking if i hit a snow bank. but i think i'd swap my stock in the winter.. but would probably get lazy after a season dunno yet.

·
Registered
473 Posts
do you guys run your AITs in the winter? it's on my to get list.. just dont want to deal with it breaking if i hit a snow bank. but i think i'd swap my stock in the winter.. but would probably get lazy after a season dunno yet.
i would if i still had a stock bumper, i still have yet to drive the ait bumper in the snow season. i know it's a plow with that integrated lip. dont think fiberglass holds up to mounds of snow lol

knew a local guy who would swap his mazdaspeed bumper to stock during the winter on his rx-8

1 - 20 of 22 Posts