Lexus IS Forum banner

Clutch Grabbing Point

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  wingnut 
#1 ·
Whats up guys!
I just got my 04 IS300 about a month ago and I've been dealing with a very high grabbing point on my clutch. I literally have to lift my whole foot all the way at the top of the pedal before it engages, and it sometimes makes my shifts a little jerky. Apparently through some reading, there is no way to adjust the grabbing point on the IS, because it is a hydraulic system? Is it because there is air in the system? How does the hydraulics change/determine where the grabbing point is? If I bleed my clutch, will it reset itself to the middle-ish position? Anything helps! Pictures, experience, advice is all appreciated.

#3 ·
To test out for a worn clutch, accelerate hard in first gear, then shift right into third and hit the gas. If the clutch is bad, the rpms will shoot up (noticeably), but the car will not really go very much at all (it will be very obvious). If the clutch is fine, it will slow down for a bit, and then start to catch up, but the rpms will not shoot up.

could also be your slave cylinder

#8 ·
Bleed your clutch and go from there.

My clutch pedal was pulsing every time my left foot is to the floor, for the past couple months now. I just bleed it a couple days, haven't had the chance to drive it but the pulsing is gone and the pedal feels more smooth now. It didn't change the height of the engagement point though.

#9 ·
Bleed your clutch and go from there.

My clutch pedal was pulsing every time my left foot is to the floor, for the past couple months now. I just bleed it a couple days, haven't had the chance to drive it but the pulsing is gone and the pedal feels more smooth now. It didn't change the height of the engagement point though.
So you know how to change the grabbing point though?

#12 ·
Bleeding the clutch absolutely cannot hurt. However, guys make sure I'm thinking about this the right way. If the system has air wouldn't it move the engagement point closer to the floor? And not higher up? I was trying to think about it this way. If you had ton of air it would never actually disengage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.