Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys!
I just got my 04 IS300 about a month ago and I've been dealing with a very high grabbing point on my clutch. I literally have to lift my whole foot all the way at the top of the pedal before it engages, and it sometimes makes my shifts a little jerky. Apparently through some reading, there is no way to adjust the grabbing point on the IS, because it is a hydraulic system? Is it because there is air in the system? How does the hydraulics change/determine where the grabbing point is? If I bleed my clutch, will it reset itself to the middle-ish position? Anything helps! Pictures, experience, advice is all appreciated.

·
Registered
222 Posts
To test out for a worn clutch, accelerate hard in first gear, then shift right into third and hit the gas. If the clutch is bad, the rpms will shoot up (noticeably), but the car will not really go very much at all (it will be very obvious). If the clutch is fine, it will slow down for a bit, and then start to catch up, but the rpms will not shoot up.

could also be your slave cylinder

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To test out for a worn clutch, accelerate hard in first gear, then shift right into third and hit the gas. If the clutch is bad, the rpms will shoot up (noticeably), but the car will not really go very much at all (it will be very obvious). If the clutch is fine, it will slow down for a bit, and then start to catch up, but the rpms will not shoot up.

Hey

Does a worn clutch affect the grabbing point? So when I put in a new clutch it should reposition in the middle?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

Hey

Does a worn clutch affect the grabbing point? So when I put in a new clutch it should reposition in the middle?
No, worn down clutch material will not change the pedal height. Worn down flywheel will and air in the system.
If it slips. It is a mute point. You will need to take it down and replace stuff. At that note. Go to a single mass setup.

·
Registered
222 Posts
No, worn down clutch material will not change the pedal height. Worn down flywheel will and air in the system.
If it slips. It is a mute point. You will need to take it down and replace stuff. At that note. Go to a single mass setup.
I was not speaing to the pedal, just the clutch. If the flywheel is shot, pretty sure the clutch is too. Still need to look at the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Bleed your clutch and go from there.

My clutch pedal was pulsing every time my left foot is to the floor, for the past couple months now. I just bleed it a couple days, haven't had the chance to drive it but the pulsing is gone and the pedal feels more smooth now. It didn't change the height of the engagement point though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bleed your clutch and go from there.

My clutch pedal was pulsing every time my left foot is to the floor, for the past couple months now. I just bleed it a couple days, haven't had the chance to drive it but the pulsing is gone and the pedal feels more smooth now. It didn't change the height of the engagement point though.
So you know how to change the grabbing point though?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bleeding the clutch absolutely cannot hurt. However, guys make sure I'm thinking about this the right way. If the system has air wouldn't it move the engagement point closer to the floor? And not higher up? I was trying to think about it this way. If you had ton of air it would never actually disengage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts