Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I noticed a wierd new noise I get sometime. When ever i start moving and i shift gears into any gear it doesnt matter if I ride the clutch a little to long it makes some high pitched squeek noise. Never heard this until recently and i thought maybe it could mean something. BTW i have an aftermarket clutch and lightweight flywheel.
Thanks for the input
Chris

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any1 heard of this??

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
is it a repetitive noise? like something is spinning? or is it a genuine squeak?

after i installed my UD flywheel and ACT clutch i got a wierd noise for a week. every now and then it comes back. i've just gotten used to it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had the same thing, and it ended up being the clutch was worn down to the rivets (it got louder and worse the more i drove of course). might need a new clutch depending on how many miles are on the custom clutch. But if it is new then it could still be in the "break in period" which is like 500 miles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I actually am having the same issue with my IS. I have the SPEC stage 2+ clutch with the Fidanza lightweight fly. When I pull off from 1st gear and rarely when I shift to 2nd I get the same very loud squeeling noise.

I still haven't determined where it is coming from, but it doesn't affect my performance or drivablility. Initially, I thought it was the fact that I have an unsprung clutch and unsprung flywheel. But... when I took my car to Dyno it, the guy owner of the shop (and avid racer for years... supposedly) said it was "Nature of the Beast with Carbon/ Kevlar cluthc discs". Skeptical, I called SPEC and they confirmed that the clutch discs are made from Carbon/Kevlar.

The owner of the shop also informed me that with that setup, the discs will wear slightly quicker than normal clutch discs. This due to the speed of the flywheel (being lightened) and the carbon/kevlar slipping momentarily as it makes contact. A gentleman getting his car dynoed after me said he had the same thing on his Porsche (except it was strictly used for racing).

With all that being said, I'd suggest you check to see what your disc is made of and let me know. If you too have a carbon/Kevlar clutch disc, I would pretty much accept that as the root cause. Only real way to find out, would be to drop the tranny and see the wear pattern and replace the clutch, which I doubt you want to do.

hope that helped! Let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright thanks for the help ill try and get it checked out when i get the chance and i let you know what i find out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts