Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yes the infamous IS3 clutch... Mine is working great still except that noise when my foot if off the clutch. To be more descriptive, it's the rotating squeaking sound. I thought the 70 K powerterain warranty covers it. So I went to the Lexus dealership and guess what, it doesn't cover it. Well as he says, I didn't want to spend 120 bucks just for him to look at the car and tell me the entire clutch needs to be changed coz I don't think so.. He goes on to say if we have to replace the clutch, gears.. blah blah.. I'm like the tranny works great. Whatever. Give me your say in this .net, Do I just need to lubricate the bearings or what.... I'm gonna have to go get it in the shop soon coz it just gets annoying when I have my windows down. Any quick fixes?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
So yes the infamous IS3 clutch... Mine is working great still except that noise when my foot if off the clutch. To be more descriptive, it's the rotating squeaking sound. I thought the 70 K powerterain warranty covers it. So I went to the Lexus dealership and guess what, it doesn't cover it. Well as he says, I didn't want to spend 120 bucks just for him to look at the car and tell me the entire clutch needs to be changed coz I don't think so.. He goes on to say if we have to replace the clutch, gears.. blah blah.. I'm like the tranny works great. Whatever. Give me your say in this .net, Do I just need to lubricate the bearings or what.... I'm gonna have to go get it in the shop soon coz it just gets annoying when I have my windows down. Any quick fixes?
if its only doing it when your foot is OFF the clutch, then the throw-out bearing is going bad.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
OF COURSE a clutch isnt warranty....why would a manufacturer warranty stupidity, if its worn out with in the warranty period its because A the flywheel or pressure plate went bad (warrantable issues) or B you fail at driving manual transmissions. I have 73k on my car and I beat on it BUT i dont slip the clutch. Other members on here have 100k+. Clutches are driver fault.....NOW....ONE time I while working at Hyundai I saw a tiburon that part of the clutch disk broke off. We were pretty sure it was caused by driver neglect but Hyundai said go ahead and do it so we did.....

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have the same noise but I have an unorthodox racing lightened flywheel and stage 2 clutch. I believe your noise is the throwout bearing as mentioned by richter. I took my car to PFS where the parts were installed and they says it's normal for my case because of the aftermarket clutch and flywheel . I have been driving it like that with no change in performance or reliability for 30k miles.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What do you guys mean exactly by foot is OFF the clutch? Mine makes the same sound, but it does so while I'm RELEASING the clutch, generally at the half-way mark; that is, my foot is still touching the clutch but the sound comes only when I release pressure, not when I apply pressure. No sound comes out of it when my foot is off of the clutch entirely, ie not in use. In any case I've lived with it for a year without caring about it too much and probably wouldn't pay much for a fix until the whole clutch blows. Sound only happens once in a while anyhow.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Mine stopped doing it a while back and yes, it's the throw-out bearing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well duh I know it's wear and tear, just that I bought this vehicle recently used, thought it might cover it... you forgot C, could be the previous driver and I'm just getting the shaft.

And I never said it slipped, it's working perfectly, just that noise which btw has been gone

OF COURSE a clutch isnt warranty....why would a manufacturer warranty stupidity, if its worn out with in the warranty period its because A the flywheel or pressure plate went bad (warrantable issues) or B you fail at driving manual transmissions. I have 73k on my car and I beat on it BUT i dont slip the clutch. Other members on here have 100k+. Clutches are driver fault.....NOW....ONE time I while working at Hyundai I saw a tiburon that part of the clutch disk broke off. We were pretty sure it was caused by driver neglect but Hyundai said go ahead and do it so we did.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Alot of times that squeek is from the pivot that the arm rests against not the bearing itself.It vibrates when the bearing is just floating and causes the same noise as the bearing does. Most shops will tell you its the bearing so they can make money replacing it. There is no money to be made lubing a dry pivot bolt. Try finding someone to spray some lube on this pivot point first to see if the noise disappears

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I too also have the same problem. It sounds like more to me a "Chirping" noise. When the clutch is not engadged, it will make that sound but, when I apply pressure to it about 10-15% of it, it goes away. Mines started to do that at around 54k, now I have 68k. Gotten used to it to be honest. Tried having Lexus fix it but, had the same issues you had. Had it been UNDER the 4yr/50k mile bumper to bumper warranty, they would have replaced the whole clutch one of the advisors said....."CRAP". Powertrain is covered, but, wear and tear, NOPE. Just suck it up and get used to it or be prepared to spend a hefty amount to get it fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts