Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought some LED's from some website not too long ago, finally got a chance to work on them,
so I took apart the A/C cluster,
changed out all the bulbs,
soldered WITH the resistors,

but only some of them light up?
I even changed out the bulbs and they still do not light... maybe half or so worked, and I tried piggy backin' them, but it was a no go..

any advice?

·
Registered
367 Posts
yeah check the polarity, if you look inside the LED, one of the prongs is flat. i believe that one is negative. also, when you first pick up the LED, the shorter leg is the negative one. hope this helps

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes and yes, used a volt meter and everything.. sucks, only half the cluster is lit...

if i was to piggy back the leds that DONT work to the ones that do, how does that change the size of the resistor?

·
Registered
367 Posts
yes and yes, used a volt meter and everything.. sucks, only half the cluster is lit...

if i was to piggy back the leds that DONT work to the ones that do, how does that change the size of the resistor?
why don't you just remove the ones that don't work? Are you sure you didn't fry them?

it doesn't change the resistor either, an LED is basically a wire that shines when electricity passes through it so negligible reistance. however, it is a Light Emitting Diode which means that if you put it in backwards, electricity will not flow through it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed them out 2x for other ones, and they still didnt work...

..could i possible run a 12v wire through the cluster... attach them to it?

·
Registered
367 Posts
are you sure you have 12v LED's? Most of them are like 3.5V if i'm not mistaken you will need a 470 Ohm resistor if you run a 12v through them and you do it properly without frying anything else. They also be constantly be on if the car is turned on. I wouldn't advise you do it that way and just do it the right way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts