Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so here is the story. after driving my car for a while i start to hear this noise that sounds like a clicking or ticking noise that seems to be coming from the bottom of my car. it only usually happens after long driving, i'd say about 15 minutes or more. also, when i go WOT, right after it shifts gears you hear the same noise. its really bugging me and i don't know what it is.

do any of you guys know? i would take it to lexus but my warranty is out. i think it might be my gasket or something. i was thinking something was loose under my car but when i lifted the car up nothing seemed to be loose. any of you guys know what im talking about? :pissed:

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
noone knows?????????

plus rep to whoever tells me im desperate. the noise is ticking me off!!

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
be more specific. does it happen during braking? only when accelerator is down? is something dragging? have you had car up on a lift? doe sit happen when car is parked and running?

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it happens only when car is in idle (when driving for more than 15 minutes) and when my car is at wide open throttle right after the cars shifts gears(auto) you hear a ticking noise.

thats all i can describe. i described it pretty well before mikefate. nothing is dragging though. do you think you know what it is?

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so it should just go away.????? how long did yours take to go away?

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
near the middle and under the car. it was an annoying tick . it went away once but then it came back. pissing me off so much though :pissed:

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
im thinking maybe the exhaust...get underneath on the rear. check the rubber exhuast hangers. check exhaust itself to see if its rubbign anywhere. im guessign a bvibration somewhere along the way. when the car is really hot, the rubber hangers stretch and getsofter, exhaust usually hangs a bit lower, maybe is shifting once car is heated up. especially under lots os strain, exhaust temps can get really hot. look at they way the exhaust sits cold. then get it really hot and check it from the header back. see if its rubbing anywhere. if thats not, ill think of some other possibibilties.

is the noise a vibrating click? liek a metal on metal?

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
another scenario, beleieve it or not, could eb a nail in your tire. or a rock lodged in your tread somewhere. it can make an annoying clicking nosie whenver the wheel rotates. i had a large headed nail in a tire once, and you coudl tell right away. inspect all the tires too.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
mikefate said:
another scenario, beleieve it or not, could eb a nail in your tire. or a rock lodged in your tread somewhere. it can make an annoying clicking nosie whenver the wheel rotates. i had a large headed nail in a tire once, and you coudl tell right away. inspect all the tires too.
I was thinking along the same line........it's a good possibility.

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mikefate said:
eya i was thinking about the exhaust system too i will put it ona lift again ad check to find out for sure. and it can't be a nail in my tire because i hear the sound too when the car is on and in idle. and where are the rubber things at again? is it near the back holding the exhaust tip??

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mikefate said:
im thinking maybe the exhaust...get underneath on the rear. check the rubber exhuast hangers. check exhaust itself to see if its rubbign anywhere. im guessign a bvibration somewhere along the way. when the car is really hot, the rubber hangers stretch and getsofter, exhaust usually hangs a bit lower, maybe is shifting once car is heated up. especially under lots os strain, exhaust temps can get really hot. look at they way the exhaust sits cold. then get it really hot and check it from the header back. see if its rubbing anywhere. if thats not, ill think of some other possibibilties.

is the noise a vibrating click? liek a metal on metal?
also mikefate, if it is indeed the rubbers, where and what kind do i purchase???

+rep+ for the help by the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is your IS a 5 speed manual? My car had th eexact noise. The dealer replaced the throw out bearings. This fixed the problem for a few months then it came back! They finally took care of it but they replaced 3 or 4 bearings before it was finally gone for good.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
AlwaysInTune said:
Is your IS a 5 speed manual? My car had th eexact noise. The dealer replaced the throw out bearings. This fixed the problem for a few months then it came back! They finally took care of it but they replaced 3 or 4 bearings before it was finally gone for good.
his car is an 01, thus it is not possible to have a manual. (save a trans swap)

Petta-
What does the noise sound like?
You said ticking noise, so is that a light tick, like tapping the tip of a pen on the table? or a hard deep tapping like a small hammer on metal?
Is it constant? does it change with engine speed? (rev in neutral)
does it get louder or quieter in or out of gear, if any change?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts