Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says i have a problem with my front right suspension i presume. Because every time that i go over a bump small or big, even a speed bump at slow speeds i hear a clunking noise come from my passenger side front wheel area. It sounds like a piece of mettle is loose and is banging against another piece. When i went to paint my calipers and had the wheels off i tried a visual inspection and physical where i tried to see if anything was loose to no avail...

What can it be?

BTW i have installed the Red l'tuned sway bars and had no problem with about 3xxx miles on them. For some reason it was the day after i installed the JIC Front Strut bar that the clunking noise started to happen. I took it off and the clunking noise still persists so i decided to put it back on.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sounds like your shock assembly is loose. That's just a thought since it happened when you put on the bar. I haven't installed a strut bar, so I'm not sure of the details. Did you remove anything, and if you did, did you put it back on with a torque wrench at proper spec?

Reactions: UnderdogIS

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like your shock assembly is loose. That's just a thought since it happened when you put on the bar. I haven't installed a strut bar, so I'm not sure of the details. Did you remove anything, and if you did, did you put it back on with a torque wrench at proper spec?
No, not with a torque wrench but i tightened it back to as near as i could to when i took off the bolts to put the strut bar on.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can it be anything else other than the shock assembly being loose? Anyone?

·
Registered
609 Posts
It can be any number of things. Some may be a stretch, but it could be:

A bad shock
ball joint
tie rod end
bushing
-or, if its just a click when you apply the brake, it could be the floating calipers, and there's nothing you can do about that...

Generally speaking, if it didn't do it before, and it does it after your installation, something changed during the installation. I would take it to a shop and have it inspected.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i think this topic was brought up alot... i had a problem with mine doing the same thing.. everytime i would slow down or turn it was make a clicking noise... i took it to the dealership, nothing was wrong at all, they greased it up, it was gone for awhile but came back... he said you gotta live with the annoying sound.. so couple months later i got rid of the car..

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
If it's a clicking sound when you back up and stop and then roll forward and stop, it's just the floating calipers, it's normal. Replacing the pads will get rid of it for a while.

·
Registered
947 Posts
i have the same problem but i have no aftermarket parts on my suspension and i keep hearing squeking sound on the from left wheel and my right rear wheel...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No its whenever i go over a bump, like a hole or speed bump, or the body rolls hard from left to right that i hear the clunking noise. It is like a pipe is hitting a piece of metal.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's a clicking sound when you back up and stop and then roll forward and stop, it's just the floating calipers, it's normal. Replacing the pads will get rid of it for a while.
Not the calipers, that clicking noise is too soft, its a lot harsher of a clicking noise and more of a banging i guess i should say.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It can be any number of things. Some may be a stretch, but it could be:

A bad shock
ball joint
tie rod end
bushing
-or, if its just a click when you apply the brake, it could be the floating calipers, and there's nothing you can do about that...

Generally speaking, if it didn't do it before, and it does it after your installation, something changed during the installation. I would take it to a shop and have it inspected.
Thanks zelakil... just need the time to get to a shop and not the stealership.

Reactions: MrGregski

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Not the calipers, that clicking noise is too soft, its a lot harsher of a clicking noise and more of a banging i guess i should say.
Hmmm, sounds like something you should be able to see by jacking up the car, definitely check all the bolts especially the ones you touched.

Reactions: UnderdogIS

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: found that my sway bar was missing a bolt and that a couple bolts were missing. Should have seen it when i jacked it up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
oops, i need to check mine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts