Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the clunk noise that occurs when you start your car and move a little is due to the ABS resetting/testing itself. This usually happens when I back out of my garage, start moving forward, and then "CLUNK".

Recently though, the clunk sound started happening while I am backing out and then again when I start moving forward. But, while I'm backing out, I of course have to step on my brakes so that I don't run into the house across from me. When I happen to step on the brakes right when the "CLUNK" happens, I get this nasty grinding noise.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Is it normal to have the "CLUNK" happen while backing out? I thought it only happened when you started moving forward.

2) What is that grinding noise that happens when I just so happen to step on my brakes in conjunction with the "CLUNK".

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
i get it when i back out of the garage too. don't worry, its just the way they are. but the grinding isn't that good. you might want to check your pads.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Ive never heard clunking when backing out of my garage. The only clunking i hear is the back differential when i switch gears. I wish that would go away.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
The clunk is normal. It's not related to the ABS or anything, it's just because we have floating brake pads, and when they sit engaged overnight, and you back out of your garage in the morning, they are sort of stuck to the caliper.

When you back out of your garage, and apply the brakes, the pads "pop" off of the calipers, hence the clunk only when backing out.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have exactly same problem!! and I know it's really annoying!! but then as everyone else said it's normal. okay.. today, I was dropping off my DVDs, I saw a guy with his IS300 and he just started his engine, after he start moving foward I heard that "CLUNK" sounds when he braking. I was like isn't that sounds familiar? so, I guess it's happening to many of us.., which means it's normal....?

·
Registered
323 Posts
ive been meaning to look and see if this topic has been discussed cause ive have started to notice this with my car too!! :eek: Has anyone asked the dealer about this to make sure it is normal, cause i have driven cars with ABS before and i have never heard a clunk sound on those! The idea about the "floating brake pads" makes sence but i want to be sure!

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
For christ's sake yes, it's normal. Go back to sleep, the world isn't going to end. It's floating brake pads, period.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Relax dude!! Is it a problem to be conserned about a clunking noise on my car!?!? :roll: By the way, how do you know this is the reason?? Did you ask the dealer or a professional about it, or is this your ASSUMPTION!!! There ARE other cars that have the same kind of brake pads that DONT have this noise!!! YOU go back to bed and wake up on the right side!!!! :bitching:

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Ok boys and girls.....

The "Floating Brake Pads" is part of the problem..... Its in the Es, Rx, etc...
But there is more to it...

For those of you with newer cars and drive the car normally you will not start to hear or experience the clicking of the pads until about 15k miles on your car and brakes...

What happens is that the pads begin to wear down and it creates a space of a few millimeters between the caliper/pads and rotors... This usally occurs while the brakes are cold... and switching from reverse to drive.
As the brakes begin to get to the 20k to 25k you will get the click most of the time switiching from reverse to drive as the pads reset themselves into position every time... and they have worn more.

Solutions are: new pads with more meat on them and cut the rotors of course... Then you won't hear the cliking again for another 10K... Since everything will be nice/new and snug.
Also, Lexus has a schime kit available too...if you don't want to put new pads yet, but it works only for a short while.

Hope this helps....

There is no major problem from the clicking..... But if you have grinding or squeking from the "wear out" sensor, then its time for new brakes..

Joe Z 8)

·
Registered
323 Posts
great explanation!! That is what i figured was the problem becasue my car has 21,000 miles on it and like i said i have just started noticing it the last few thousand miles! I guess ill live with the noise till its time for some new pads. :)

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
IRON CITY said:
Relax dude!! Is it a problem to be conserned about a clunking noise on my car!?!? :roll: By the way, how do you know this is the reason?? Did you ask the dealer or a professional about it, or is this your ASSUMPTION!!! There ARE other cars that have the same kind of brake pads that DONT have this noise!!! YOU go back to bed and wake up on the right side!!!! :bitching:
damn settle down noobie.........he was just trying to help. thats not a good way to get in people's good graces around here

·
Registered
323 Posts
10secondIS said:
IRON CITY said:
damn settle down noobie.........he was just trying to help. thats not a good way to get in people's good graces around here
How do you figure that he was just trying help??? He started his sentence with "for christ sakes..."!!! he is the one that needs to settle down!

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Joe Z,

Thanks. I guess that's why mine always made the noise, since it had 18,000 miles on it when I bought it. :)

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
IRON CITY said:
10secondIS said:
IRON CITY said:
How do you figure that he was just trying help??? He started his sentence with "for christ sakes..."!!! he is the one that needs to settle down!
Yeah, even i thought that was a bit wierd, 10second. ,'=\

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
IRON CITY said:
great explanation!! That is what i figured was the problem becasue my car has 21,000 miles on it and like i said i have just started noticing it the last few thousand miles! I guess ill live with the noise till its time for some new pads. :)
bartkat said:
Joe Z,

Thanks. I guess that's why mine always made the noise, since it had 18,000 miles on it when I bought it. :)
No problem guys.!!!! your welcome.

We should make my info a sticky......

Joe Z :chill:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Joe Z said:
Ok boys and girls.....

The "Floating Brake Pads" is part of the problem..... Its in the Es, Rx, etc...
But there is more to it...

For those of you with newer cars and drive the car normally you will not start to hear or experience the clicking of the pads until about 15k miles on your car and brakes...

What happens is that the pads begin to wear down and it creates a space of a few millimeters between the caliper/pads and rotors... This usally occurs while the brakes are cold... and switching from reverse to drive.
As the brakes begin to get to the 20k to 25k you will get the click most of the time switiching from reverse to drive as the pads reset themselves into position every time... and they have worn more.

Solutions are: new pads with more meat on them and cut the rotors of course... Then you won't hear the cliking again for another 10K... Since everything will be nice/new and snug.
Also, Lexus has a schime kit available too...if you don't want to put new pads yet, but it works only for a short while.

Hope this helps....

There is no major problem from the clicking..... But if you have grinding or squeking from the "wear out" sensor, then its time for new brakes..

Joe Z 8)
Thanks for the explanation. But I just realized the griding noise I metioned in the 1st post of this thread, it sounds like the noise the brakes make when I slam on them and have the ABS kick in. So I'm guessing when I hit the brakes right when the "clunk" comes in is because I'm using the brakes while the ABS is setting/resetting itself. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I get the clunkin when backing outta my driveway all the time. When i went for my 5,000 mile service i had them check it, they said its normal. Grinding... i dont have that i would check that out if i were you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts