Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took the knobs off to change the inside yellow light and solder a new green one on these small metal tabs I noticed were laying on the area next to me and I don't know where exactly they connect to. I've researched an article on here someone had the same issue and said when he noticed these small tabs and reinstalled them everything worked fine...however he didn't explain where he re-installed them or provide any picture so I'm in the same spot. Article was from 2005 and have gotten no responses back so I had to start this new thread. Can anyone help out real quick explaining or preferably showing an image where to correctly reinstall or reinsert them into. Thank you guys

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just replace the unit. They are fairly cheap used.
I feel bad for you you're the only person that ever replys to my shit 😂 I appreciate it a lot. Honestly my dumbass forgot to plug the ribbon back in. Regardless of these stupid tabs. Only problem was AC would turn on but very weak I noticed the knob was turned 1 notch right so it went 1 past highest setting so I took it back out n just gotta reinstall n hope it works. Otherwise you're right I've done it in my other IS.

·
Mr. Roo
10,214 Posts
I'm fairly certain that metal piece goes inside the 3 pushbuttons on the front of the unit to control the switches (either the buttons or the knobs, I forget). Looks like it somehow fell out. It is important. So, take the whole thing apart carefully, and it should become obvious once you get the knobs off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm fairly certain that metal piece goes inside the 3 pushbuttons on the front of the unit to control the switches (either the buttons or the knobs, I forget). Looks like it somehow fell out. It is important. So, take the whole thing apart carefully, and it should become obvious once you get the knobs off.
Tobias, thank you that was what I needed to hear. I plugged back in today and now lights all work but knobs don't do anything when you turn them so that metal bit must be the connection to send the info to the unit. Had it apart last night trying to see where they would go and couldn't see any obvious spot but ill take it apart again after hearing this and place it around until it eventually comes back. Thank you for your response

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
As mentioned you might be better off finding a 2nd hand replacement unit, over here they must be fairly cheap at a wreckers yard as i have found 3 extras in my garage which i must have got at various times i was at salvage yards with the thought of trying to chase an issue i had with the AC :LOL:

·
Mr. Roo
10,214 Posts
Tobias, thank you that was what I needed to hear. I plugged back in today and now lights all work but knobs don't do anything when you turn them so that metal bit must be the connection to send the info to the unit. Had it apart last night trying to see where they would go and couldn't see any obvious spot but ill take it apart again after hearing this and place it around until it eventually comes back. Thank you for your response
I hope it works! Yeah you have to take the buttons apart completely (well, the one that doesn't work). In your picture, you haven't taken it apart enough. The green board needs to come out to get to the buttons if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That metal part is attached to the button on the underside. When you take apart the button that is not working from the front you will see two round circles on the circuit board that is hidden under the knob. You will noticed that the two prongs from the metal piece matches the two circles perfectly. The metal is supposed to touch and ride along that circle to register the position of the button. You just need to figure out how it is attached to the button.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Tobias, I'm an idiot. After following your instructions you're absolutely right. There is a tiny spot on back of the knobs about halfway on the right side where those little tabs go. Crazy because before I put them back in the climate control lights worked again but none of the functions did. As soon as I took it back apart and actually looked around and spotted said area I reinserted those tiny tabs and what do you know my ac came on working as normal and I know my defroster/circulation button will as well. Sorry for the noob post I guess sometimes we all need reminding to fully look at what you took apart because if something came out of there then there obviously has to be somewhere it came from and will obviously have a purpose. By the way my replica TRD neo V1 bumper gets here tomorrow I'm super excited. Already have the fogs but I'm sure will be posting some questions on the install for those. Mines an 05 and I have H3s just like the jdm ones but I noticed the connector tab looks like the 9006s do you happen to know anything about those ?

·
Mr. Roo
10,214 Posts
Hey Tobias, I'm an idiot. After following your instructions you're absolutely right. There is a tiny spot on back of the knobs about halfway on the right side where those little tabs go. Crazy because before I put them back in the climate control lights worked again but none of the functions did. As soon as I took it back apart and actually looked around and spotted said area I reinserted those tiny tabs and what do you know my ac came on working as normal and I know my defroster/circulation button will as well. Sorry for the noob post I guess sometimes we all need reminding to fully look at what you took apart because if something came out of there then there obviously has to be somewhere it came from and will obviously have a purpose. By the way my replica TRD neo V1 bumper gets here tomorrow I'm super excited. Already have the fogs but I'm sure will be posting some questions on the install for those. Mines an 05 and I have H3s just like the jdm ones but I noticed the connector tab looks like the 9006s do you happen to know anything about those ?
I'm glad I actually said something helpful LOL and that you were able to get things working again. These types of mechanical buttons are full of tiny springs and metal pieces that move around, electrical grease too, so you gotta be really careful.

As for the fogs, the earlier models came with 9006 bulbs. So you just need a conversion harness to end up with 9006 on your car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts