Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this, but I am in the market for an aftermarket alarm system. I have no idea what to get. Can someone please tell me what is good/bad about these? Anyone have any of these- pros & cons? Whats more worth it? Whats most effective? Can these be put into our stock keys instead of using a FOB?

Intelliguard
Concept
Avistart
Avant Guard

·
Registered
156 Posts
What features are you looking for. If I wanted everything an alarm could offer I would get the avantguard 5. For remote start you will need to use your spare key, or purchace a new one. The installer will use it when installing the remote start features. So far no alarm maker has been able to create a module that will trick the car into thinking that the key is in the ignition (transmitter chipped keys anyway)

I have the avantguard on two of my cars, I love it. The blackjax feature is really cool. You get all four windows to roll up/dn/crack by remote, and you get auto up/dn on every window. I could go on and on about the features... if you have the bucks to spend on it, get it.

Chris

·
8,880 Posts
Compustar is often recommended here.
Lisnup65 has a module that you can use for remote start, instead of loosing one of the keys.

Windows up/down module will take a ton of effort to install, but it is doable.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Whatever you choose, MAKE CERTAIN YOU KEEP THE SPARE REMOTE AND MANUAL IN A SAFE PLACE! Buy a fireproof safe if you have to!

I bought my car used, with a Viper 600 series already installed, and I have on several occations wished death rather than tying to diffuse the situations it's gotten me into.

The spare remote and manual were lost, and Viper could not find the proper manual for my alarm, so I can't change any settings.

The alarm auto arms 30 seconds after all doors are closed, and the windows roll up when it arms. I have ended up having the keys left inside on TWO occations, and on occation the stock alarm decides to wreak havoc on the Viper, and while they're fighting for dominance, I'm holding my ears trying to disconnect the battery. It's bad enough that I keep a pair of pliers in the center console.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts