Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a rattle (sound clip) when the car is running. At first I thought this was just a noisy belt but it turns out the sound goes away when I engage the clutch (even just slightly depressing the clutch).

This to me would suggest that it is noise coming from the transmission. Moving the stick left and right when it's in neutral doesn't affect the sound. I can still hear the sound when moving slowly in 1st gear. Other than the sound, the car drives normally.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
The part that is making the noise is called the throw out bearing. Many have gotten it replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
318 Posts
same problem... I took mine into the dealer, this happened only after 4k miles for me.. seems 2 common but whatever

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

Last week, the dealership replaced the new design of the clutch release cylinder (FP# 31470-53032) but the sound did not go away as described by the TSB. They ordered me a new clutch and it was installed today...

The diagnosis is that the throw out bearing was rubbing on the clutch plate forks to the point the forks were deformed. The worn throw out bearing is the cause of the noise.

1 31210-30261 Clutch cover
1 31250-53021 Clutch disc
1 31230-22100 Release Bearing
1 90363-12002-77 Bearing
4 00009-10018 Gear lube 75W
2 90917-06046 Exhaust gasket
3 M-10X40 Bolt
3 M10 Nut

Total labour: 7.6 hours.

Cost to me: free under warranty.

The tech inspected the flywheel also and it was in good shape.

With the new clutch, the pedal feels really light compared to before. I wonder why that is.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My 2003 just started making this noise today. :pissed:

I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow to let them take a look at it. I hope they don't tell me it's normal or start some sh*t because I have an SRT intake.

That TSB says "M/T - Clutch Chirping Noise in Neutral", but mine sounds more like ticking. Does this bulletin relate to both of these sounds? I'm taking a copy of the TSB with me.

Damn, and I have a car meet this weekend. People are gonna think I need oil or something. :crazy:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had this same problem....
Ends up they gave me a whole new tranny!!

They fixed all of the clutch elements and they took it for a test drive and the clutch was sticking to the floor. So they gave me a brand spankin new one!!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
mine is making this sound too...sounds likea noisy cricket is following me where ever I go. What should I tell the dealer when I take it in? I seems like the sound started after I got my 10k service.

·
Registered
902 Posts
My brother had the same problem on his MKIV N/A Supra. Its simply the throwout bearing that has gone bad, but he took it to the Toyota dealer and they just re-oiled the clutch or whatever and it went away for awhile.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Astr0LuX said:
mine is making this sound too...sounds likea noisy cricket is following me where ever I go. What should I tell the dealer when I take it in? I seems like the sound started after I got my 10k service.
Tell them about TSB TC003-03. You might want to just print off this page too. The new design of the clutch release cylinder (PN# 31470-53032) gives the clutch more freeplay and thus will not drag. If they don't replace this part, this will eventually happen again even if you replace the throw out bearing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same problem

Folks,

Could use some advice here. Looks like I have the same issue. I replaced my clutch and flywheel after only ~39k miles. Previous owner must have been hard on it. I choose to go with an after market set up: Stillen light weight flywheel, and ACT clutch (package came with new bearings). I choose the after market flywheel because it was less than 1/2 the price of the OEM part. I had the Stevens Creek Lexus do the install. They were fine with me bringing my own parts. Started chirping right away. Guys at Stillen recommended lubricating the fork. Took it back to dealer, and the tech claimed the issue was due to the after market parts. He lubricated the forks, which quieted it down, but said the noise would come back, which it did. Now the clutch is starting to creak when depressed, in addition to the chirping sound when the pedal is out. What to do? Ignore, keep lubricating periodically, put an OEM clutch in with new bearings and same fly wheel, punt?

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts