Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hear a clicking sound when doing a slow 3~5 mph to a stop, do you guys get this> if not what might be it? (only happends when dead stop from 5mph or slower speed to 0

·
Registered
451 Posts
Are you braking for the first time after having it in reverse at some point? They'll click the first time after having it in reverse, but then they should be fine. But if you've had the car a while, you probably already noticed that...otherwise, if it's under warranty, might as well have it checked.

·
Registered
39 Posts
brakes on is300 make alot of noise, even es300, never had a gs so dont know about those. but i doubt its anything to worry about, but like hiding said if your still under warranty, might as well get it checked out

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got the same problem with my brakes. I'm also in the process of disputing this issue with Lexus since the car is under warranty.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The clicking is normal....I had my local Lexus dealer check it out....There is nothing they can do about it

·
Registered
17 Posts
IS3DP said:
I have the same problem. It gets annoying when stopping from a slow speed.
I have the same problem, the dealer keeps saying it's just the pads and clips in the calipers making the noise. He just puts brake lube and the noise goes away for a while but returns thereafter. Says it's normal, but then why didn't I hear it from my supra, or my xtracab or from my tundra? But it is not nearly as annoying as the body creaking noise as I get in and out of the IS.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
I don't know how many times this is going to be discussed. In one of the post, one of the member has a great explanation of why the clicking occurs. It's nothing bad, it no harm, just a matter of a clicking noise. Love it or hate it, but it's something you will have to live with.

Here's my solution- TURN UP YOUR RADIO.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Eminence said:
I don't know how many times this is going to be discussed. In one of the post, one of the member has a great explanation of why the clicking occurs. It's nothing bad, it no harm, just a matter of a clicking noise. Love it or hate it, but it's something you will have to live with.

Here's my solution- TURN UP YOUR RADIO.
yup, this is true. Someone a while back had a greatly detailed post on this.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
To make the explanation simple. The pads are being shifted by rotor, so once it gets shifted the pads are pushed towards the caliper piston, thats why you only hear the clicking noise momentarily.

When the brake pedal is release after braking there is a space between the piston and pad which allows the pad to shift backwards. You could add shims, if you really want the issue to be gone, but once the pads wear down and the spacing is a produced again the clicking will come back.

Try going to a local autopart store and get some brake quiet, don't use moly lube. I forgot what it is called but its a reddish orange color, it sticky. Using this will help keep the pads sticking to the caliper so once the brake is let off the pads will travel back with the piston.

Reactions: lilmanx01

·
Registered
941 Posts
^Nice explanation...

You must show some love to other members before giving it to Eminence again.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
This is normal, it goes along with my Avalon that I drive. -.-

·
Registered
280 Posts
i have the same problem...didnt do it when i first got the car...dealership must of lubed it. its done it for the last 2k miles.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well to all those who just say this is normal and can go to sleep at night are pathetic. I bought a Lexus even if it is the lowest model, and it should not make noises like a Kia would. Here is what my problem was, I was getting the clicking at low speeds too. I realized the Axxis Ultimate brake pads are a bit smaller than the caliper brackets which hold them. So i jammed a screw driver between the clip and the prong on the brake pad and it shifted a little so this confirmed it was a little small.

My solution, create a little U shaped bracket which fits over the end of one of the prongs. It snuggly fits the brake pad into the caliper and still allows a TINY bit of room for it to move. Hence, no more clicking and my car doesnt sound like a piece of shit in front of teh laties.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
who_done_it said:
Well to all those who just say this is normal and can go to sleep at night are pathetic. I bought a Lexus even if it is the lowest model, and it should not make noises like a Kia would. Here is what my problem was, I was getting the clicking at low speeds too. I realized the Axxis Ultimate brake pads are a bit smaller than the caliper brackets which hold them. So i jammed a screw driver between the clip and the prong on the brake pad and it shifted a little so this confirmed it was a little small.

My solution, create a little U shaped bracket which fits over the end of one of the prongs. It snuggly fits the brake pad into the caliper and still allows a TINY bit of room for it to move. Hence, no more clicking and my car doesnt sound like a piece of shit in front of teh laties.
Seriously, you're the pathetic one who went through all of that just to get rid a little clicking noise. So what if it's a Lexus, it's built the same way as any other car, with some problems here and there.. In this case it's not even a major problem, a little clunking noise. If a little clicking noise bothers you soo much, buy a pair of ear muffs and just wear it while u're driving.

It seems like you think that a car will act and drive the same way after modification, think again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have it too. The only thing that really bothers me is that EVERYONE who has ever been in my car has asked what the noise is. They say things like "Whoa, that doesn't sound good." People outside of my car hear it too (when backing into my driveway or pulling out). It really is annoying. I agree with --who done it--.....this is a Lexus, and it should not make this noise. I'ver never heard any other car do it. I have a Toyota Tercel and the brakes on it are absolutely silent.
The dealer saying "It's normal" doesn't suffice. If I constantly loose air pressure in my tires and the dealer says "That's normal" does that make it allright? Heck no.
I want Lexus to come up with a solution. The noise is not normal.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Mully said:
I have it too. The only thing that really bothers me is that EVERYONE who has ever been in my car has asked what the noise is. They say things like "Whoa, that doesn't sound good." People outside of my car hear it too (when backing into my driveway or pulling out). It really is annoying. I agree with --who done it--.....this is a Lexus, and it should not make this noise. I'ver never heard any other car do it. I have a Toyota Tercel and the brakes on it are absolutely silent.
The dealer saying "It's normal" doesn't suffice. If I constantly loose air pressure in my tires and the dealer says "That's normal" does that make it allright? Heck no.
I want Lexus to come up with a solution. The noise is not normal.
You can complain all you want to Lexus, hell you can even make complaints to the manufacturer, but it's not going to get anywhere. Like I said before, why is it such a big deal that's the car is labeled as a Lexus. What you're saying is if it was the actual Toyota Altezza and still have the noise you wouldn't be complaining right now because it's a TOYOTA. The t.oyota emblem is only acouple of dollar, just get it, slap it on.

And the noise is normal. It doesn't damage anything in the brake system nor does it cause a safety concern.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The only clicking noise i hear is during reverse. Other than that, an off and on noise sqeal at low speed. Not very loud though. Took it to the dealer and they said nothing's wrong with it. That's why Q-Tips was invented folks! :p It might help if you turn off the traction control after starting the car's engine and begin to back up. It worked for me.

05 IIP e-shift,Tein S-Tech,LED tails,tint windows.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is absolutely nothing you can do about this people ok? Just get over it. There are NO cars that were made with perfection. And if you all dont recall the "motto" of lexus is ---the relentless persuit of perfection.--- They will fix the noise...........eventually

1 - 20 of 22 Posts