Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two slight scratches have appeared in the clearcoat. One is on the passenger's side mirror and the other is on the front right fender over the right tire. Any suggestions? I made note to the dealer and they suggested a wax and buffing will take care of it, however, I believe that it will only cover it up temporarily. They said they will make sure I am satisfied with it, if not, other actions will be taken. Hypothetically speaking, if they can't cover up the blemish, what steps must be taken to remedy the problem? Spray another layer of clearcoat? BTW, the two blemishes were there when I picked up the car. Also, it only had 2 miles on it.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

WC

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Are the scratches very bad (scratched deep)?? If you can live with it, I strongly suggest NOT to spray an additional clear coat on top. I can almost guarantee you that the coat's gonna look different than the original one.

A simple wax job may not cover scratches.....maybe spider-web like swirl marks.....I bet you they'll use some type of polish compound to smooth out the scratches, meaning a few microns of the clear coat will be polished down (most common product they use is the 3M polish compound.) It works pretty well and I certainly would recommend this over spraying additional coat on.

But the best thing is to leave them if you can live with them.....

I would wait until you get more scratches and spider-web swirl marks, then take it in to the detailers and have the finish cut-polished.....

·
Registered
424 Posts
Will Cover,

It only had 2 miles ? Were the blemish there when the car is brand new ?

What color is it ? How bad is it ? If it's not too bad, I also suggest that you just use wax and polish but not the cutting wax or compound because it makes your clear coat much thinner which will lead to more scratches than what you have.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
AndyL:

Actually polish compounds come in many different grades (like sand-paper)

You use a heavier grade for 'cutting' down the surface, then you uses gradual finer grade for smoothing out the surface. In the end, the swirl marks are completely gone. The clear coat of course will be not as thick as before.

I've done it twice (by myself), and it sure saves alot of money (although time-consuming.)

·
15,322 Posts
im sure you've all heard or seen the infomercial for GS27 that stuff thats supposed to fix scratches and make them dissappear, and for deeper scratches you use a filler crayon, has anybody used this product? my friend brought it over yesterday and we tried some on his black mazda on some minor scratches and it didn't work, maybe we used it wrong...well, it seemed like a good thing on late night tv but not a good deal at "the low low pirce of $29.99" (shipping and handling is extra)

·
Registered
424 Posts
dude,

What you said is true.

You must be a pro then.
I find it hard to manage the result when using the compound. It has to be used with caution coz` it's easily to damage the paint.

Andy

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Actually I'm not a pro
, but I do have a powerful weapon.....a buffer!! That helps so much!! But remember to ALWAYS have clean cloth on the buffer.....

the main thing is 'time-consuming'....

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by DonCorleone:
im sure you've all heard or seen the infomercial for GS27 that stuff thats supposed to fix scratches and make them dissappear, and for deeper scratches you use a filler crayon, has anybody used this product? my friend brought it over yesterday and we tried some on his black mazda on some minor scratches and it didn't work, maybe we used it wrong...well, it seemed like a good thing on late night tv but not a good deal at "the low low pirce of $29.99" (shipping and handling is extra)

The GS27 is simply an abrasive to 'cut' away the minor scratches....

The filler crayons are a hoax!!! Doesn't work at all..... For 29.99?? Over here in the Pacific Northwest, they can be bought over the counter (in Target) for about 15 bucks......

Also when you see any colored-wax that says they'll cover up the deeper scratches, they're totally lying.....When they demonstrate it on TV, they put the wax on while still wet.....Problem is whey they dry out, the scratches reappear again. Try it on aany kind of wax.....they cover the scratches real well WHEN still wet....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
dude
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing