Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from a friend that some clear sidemarkers will trap water and stuff inside. Is it worth buying clear sidemarkers or just keep my stock?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I ran into the same problem. I bought the clear sidemarkers off ebay and eventually got water/condensation in them after washing the car. After a month of trying to seal the gaps between the bulb housing and the sidemarker with silicon, I gave up and went back to the stock sidemarkers. The clears look better IMO, but unless I can find a way to keep out the condensation after washing the car, I'm sticking with the stock ones.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
the problem is that you also have to seal the area where the bulb plugs into the sidemarker housing. if i get around to it i will take my sidemarker off and show you... sealed the housing/lens twice, but condensation kept coming back until i sealed up the bulb connector/socket.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Does anybody knows what is the part number for the amber bulbs, and where I can get a pair? I bought the clear side marker, but it does not come with the bulbs... Thanks. :wink:

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
i just installed my clears last night on my TCM makes the front look more smooth and clean.

dchang98: get some 168 piaa ion crystals for the clears, they look soo nice, they also match the fogs realy well. if you use ambers it looks weird i think, cause you will have yyour HIDS, yellow fogs, and amber sides. to many colors.

·
Registered
303 Posts
ChinoXS203 said:
i just installed my clears last night on my TCM makes the front look more smooth and clean.

dchang98: get some 168 piaa ion crystals for the clears, they look soo nice, they also match the fogs realy well. if you use ambers it looks weird i think, cause you will have yyour HIDS, yellow fogs, and amber sides. to many colors.
I thought I read somewhere on this forum that its illegal to have side marker lamp not in amber?? Or is it not??

·
Registered
303 Posts
GraphiteSportDesign said:
it just has to light up amber, it doesnt matter what it looks like when its not on.
Yup, that's what I thought too.
Which is why I am looking for a pair of amber bulbs to go with my clear marker. Anyone knows what the part number is, and where I can get them? Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
amber, yellow. i dont think it would make a diff. but the bulb is 168

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
GraphiteSportDesign said:
it just has to light up amber, it doesnt matter what it looks like when its not on.
you are 100% WRONG

unless the state law is totally different in NY.

CA law states requires an amber reflector in front and a red reflector in back. once you change the reflectors to clear sidemarkers, you are illegal regardless of the color the sidemarkers light up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
wow... thx for the info irv_usc. i also thought it just had to light up amber/yellow.

as far as condensation and leaking goes, i have no problems so far. and my car has been in the rain and washed many many times. so far so good.

·
Registered
219 Posts
blackLtuned03 said:
wow... thx for the info irv_usc. i also thought it just had to light up amber/yellow.

as far as condensation and leaking goes, i have no problems so far. and my car has been in the rain and washed many many times. so far so good.
ok this might be a dumb-ass question- but when u guys are talking about side markers- are u referring to the rear parking lites? I've gotta 01 IS, and don't seem to see any 'side marker' lites on it??!? Are u talkin bout the ones that are built into the headlite assembly?

don't flame me out for asking, if this is indeed a dumb question...

·
Registered
971 Posts
I guess I'm the only one here without a problem with my clear side markers. I had them for almost 5000 miles, and I never had any water in them. I think the problem with the side markers you're getting is you're not getting the correct seal. I got mines from Procarparts.com, and it came with the bulb socket, and it had a black ring seal, which is thicker than the stock (white) one.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brc said:
blackLtuned03 said:

ok this might be a dumb-ass question- but when u guys are talking about side markers- are u referring to the rear parking lites? I've gotta 01 IS, and don't seem to see any 'side marker' lites on it??!? Are u talkin bout the ones that are built into the headlite assembly?

don't flame me out for asking, if this is indeed a dumb question...
There are amber reflecters on the front bumper and red reflecters on the back bumper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts