Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if there are clear "bumper" markers for the gs' or rx'? I wanna change those nasty things up on the front bumper

·
Registered
166 Posts
I totally Agree....Those front and rear bumper reflectors have GOT TO GO!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah......I totally agree. The rear ones are acceptable. Why did Lexus take off the clear side markers of Altezza and put on those yellow reflectors on IS300?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Two words (well, one word and an abbreviation): U.S. Regulations

Originally posted by Tycoon:
Yeah......I totally agree. The rear ones are acceptable. Why did Lexus take off the clear side markers of Altezza and put on those yellow reflectors on IS300?

·
Registered
446 Posts
ok, if us regulation is the case...how come bmw 3-series and audi a4 still have it?!?!
That's not fair..........

·
Registered
50 Posts
I noticed that!! All Japanese cars that come here dont have the side markers??? hmmm .. i know it cant be regulations because european and american cars have it...i wonder if a company will produce a clear side for the front bumper side... The front headlight if you want clear you will have to buy the whole front light and in japan in 55,000 yen which is about 500 dollar!! Unless you can just take out the orange piece.. that would be nice.. in the back you can clear out the reverse light and thats about 200 dollars..ahhhh i hate that orange piece on the side...

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
There's a small strip of amber at the front corners of the car that functions as the turn signal, but I don't find this ugly. However, the side marker is a slight eyesore...gimme the front-quarter panel turn signal any day!

[This message has been edited by JW (edited May 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I guess Japan has strict regulations on what color the turn signals of thier cars are. The cars can have clear corners but must have orange/amber signals in the form of side markers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think the IS would look a lot cleaner without the orange up front.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does anyone know if it is a Canadian Regulation to have the side markers on the bumpers?

Will there be a difference between Canadian and US version?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I refuse to own a car with red turn signals
in the rear.

My wife's sable wagon had yellow (in 1997)
but (for some reason) Ford/Mercury went
back to red signals on the same car in 1998.
[ Maybe they save $.10 per signal assembly
to have them be one color ]

The Acura NSX had red turn signals in the USA,
but the Honda NSX had yellow signals in Japan.

Why did they do THAT in the USA? Admittedly
the car looks a bit cleaner with the one color
signal assemblies, but I consider it a safety
issue to have some ambiguity between the signals
and brake lights.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I was driving on the freeway behind this first generation Explorer (the one with the red turn signals), and he activated the turn signal and braked several times to change lanes. I was like, "What the?!" until I noticed that he was signaling and braking at the same time.

Originally posted by TEG:
I refuse to own a car with red turn signals
in the rear.

My wife's sable wagon had yellow (in 1997)
but (for some reason) Ford/Mercury went
back to red signals on the same car in 1998.
[ Maybe they save $.10 per signal assembly
to have them be one color ]

The Acura NSX had red turn signals in the USA,
but the Honda NSX had yellow signals in Japan.

Why did they do THAT in the USA? Admittedly
the car looks a bit cleaner with the one color
signal assemblies, but I consider it a safety
issue to have some ambiguity between the signals
and brake lights.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like the yellow turning light at the back too. I heard that the reason for the manufacturers using single color at the back is that some researches show majority of the US customers like single color tail light, so carmakers follow the crowd.

Like many of you, I also don't understand why Japanese carmakers move the side marker to the bumper. That must not be because of US regulation: VW, BMW, and Audi all have side markers.

Oh, tell you something about Asia culture which is opposite from US culture. In US, we like clear corner light, so we will spend hundreds of dollar to change our factory yellow corner light to clear. But in Asia, they're opposite. For some reason, cars in Japan or other asia regions have clear factory headlight, the Asian will spend hundreds of dollar to change their clear light to yellow.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Can someone post a pic, cause I don't see what the heck you guys are talkin about. I don't see any marker on the front bumber. I see side markers and some on the rear bumber. I do that amber in the headlights. I wonder though, do the gripes ever end? Hahaha...NOT!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
http://www.is300.net/gallery/alt28.jpg
http://autoshow2000.carpoint.msn.com/autoshow2000/images/photos/L_lexus6.JPG

Kim, Sorry that I don't know how to put pictures on the post, so please look at these two locations. In the 1st picture, you will see the side marker light behind the front wheel. In the 2nd picture, you will see a yellow reflector on the side of the front bumper right in front of the front wheels.

The gripes of this matter or anyother matter will not end, but we are not complaining, just wondering why the carmakers do this changes.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
It is all about regulations.
The US requires subtle differences
on cars sold here compared to what
Europe and Japan require.

Japanese Toyota Altezza:

American Lexus IS300 (NYC auto show):

Notice the yellow marker light on the US IS300?

Notice the small extra turn signal (behind the wheel)
on the Japanese Altezza?

I think the US requires the marker light
on the front (ahead of the wheel), but
does not require the aux turn signal behind
the wheel.
I think some manufacturers change the aux
turn signal into a secondary marker light
and sell it in the US.
Quite a few european cars have a little
badge (of some sort) stuck in place of
the aux turn signal when they sell
the car here.

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
TEG's right. My friend owns a nicely modded '99 Prelude and he replaced the orange side marker w/a clear one. A cop came along and fined him a hefty sum because of it. You HAVE TO, and I repeat HAVE to have orange side markers. The reason some cars don't have them is because their lights wrap around to the side, and have the orange built into it there.

Btw, it's also illegal to have white light covers, but I think you guys know that already.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts