Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed a that behind and towards the bottom of my rear doors there are pieces of what I think are clear plastic.. I have an 08 black 250 that I have had for about 3 weeks. The only reason I noticed (besides the fact that i just stare at my car fairly often) is that there seems to be some dirt under the plastic.

I'm sure I am being too descriminating.. but it bugs me.

Anyone else know what i am talking about? Why is the plastic there? Is it necessary?

Thanks.

First post on this forum btw.. great site.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
My guess is that the plastic is there to prevent damage to the paint if the rear seat belt inserts fail to retract, hang out the door opening, and get caught between the door and frame when closed.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Another reason is to protect against people's shoes from marring paint when entering/exiting rear seats. It's pretty tight quarters back there.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think what you are seeing is the plastic that protects the car during transit--during dealer prep, they pull this off. Sometimes, it tears and little bits remain.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I've seen new cars on transporters and the shipping protection plastic wrap is always white in color. I'm sticking with my response that the clear plastic is to protect paint on door jambs from shoe impact/rubbing when trying to step into the cramped rear seats of the IS250 & IS350. I wonder if the IS-F has the same clear plastic pieces that we're discussing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The clear plastic is to protect the interior parts(seats, trim, etc) and the white plastic is on the outside to protect the paint during transport. During the Pre Delivery Service, the clear plastic doesn't always come off nicely and get stuck under the door sills, between the seats, on the door panels, to name a few. It's nothing to worry about, but you can always try to get it out with tweezers or something if there's dirt collecting under it.

I've seen new cars on transporters and the shipping protection plastic wrap is always white in color. I'm sticking with my response that the clear plastic is to protect paint on door jambs from shoe impact/rubbing when trying to step into the cramped rear seats of the IS250 & IS350. I wonder if the IS-F has the same clear plastic pieces that we're discussing.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
OK, below is a link to a picture of the piece of clear plastic that we're discussing. It's on the door jambs of the rear doors just ahead of the rear wheel wells. I've seen several IS models with these same pieces of plastic. The plastic pieces have rounded corners and just don't look temporary to me. I think that they're there permanently to protect that area of the door jambs from shoes rubbing on the jamb whilst wiggling into and out of that rear seat.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ron\My Documents\My Pictures\Door Jamb Plastic.jpg

Let's hope that this link will work....

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Oops, my picture link is not going to work. I can put this picture as an attachment to an email but I'm not yet smart enough to publish it to the web or get into my posts.

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth.

But I'm sticking to my story that the plastic is permanent.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
you need to go to a site such as tinypic.com and upload the photo to there. Then you can copy the line with
around it and paste it into here.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
While getting my 20K service at Lexus of Austin, I noticed that every IS250, IS350 and the single IS-F on the lot had identical plastic pieces on the rear door jambs. No way that the dealer is forgetting to remove this plastic which must be for protection of the door jamb from shoe sole rubbing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts