Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Do a search for prior threads about this. Use 'scotchcal' as a search term. You'll find out everything you want to know about it.

Rob

------------------
2001 IS300
Spectra Blue Mica/Ivory
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17" wheels
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L, QuadraDrive, UpCountry
Patriot Blue, Fully loaded

·
Registered
344 Posts
I contacted an official Stonegard installer here in San Diego and it would cost $70.00 just to install the clear bra on the front bumper and $249 for the kit. He said I would have to leave my car there the whole day. Front lens covers would be another $60.00. He said he would take care of the shipping and handling but you do have to pay in advance.
I know Xpel has the same product from 3M, but it is 8mm thick as opposed to the 9mm thickness from Stonegard. Also, the kits have different cuts to them and thus provide different amounts of coverage. If anyone is considering the lens protectors (also by 3M) Xpel's is 40mm thick and Stonegard's is 80mm thick. I'm ordering some of the Stonegard lens protectors and maybe the bra later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
anyone know of a good installer for the scotchcal/XPEL/stoneguard products in Southern California area - Specifically San Fernando and ventura county areas?

Thanks,
SPM

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you look on Stoneguards website, intallers are listed. You just have to type in your zip code. However, not all authorized installers are listed (guess they haven't updated yet) so the best way is to send them an email and they'll let you know if other installers in your area exist.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
darth_yao said:
Anybody have "long term" reviews of any of these products ?
Here's my long term review. They work!

anybody else?

I say that because on my hood I got plenty of tiny nicks where the xpel isn't covering. But the xpel part looks pretty good. Unfortunately I dont have the bumper piece. And I have nick after nick like you wont believe. Have to keep using the touch up paint.

·
Registered
960 Posts
SPM said:
anyone know of a good installer for the scotchcal/XPEL/stoneguard products in Southern California area - Specifically San Fernando and ventura county areas?<P>Thanks,
SPM
I had my ClearShield kit (same ScotchCal film) installed at A1 Performace or some such here in Ventura. they did a good job and took a lot of time to get it right. If you get the deluxe kit, plan on leaving the car there all day. I had my windows tinted at the same time.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Anyone else hope that he just forgot to put a NWS in front of th etopic?

·
Registered
256 Posts
mattssi said:
Anyone else hope that he just forgot to put a NWS in front of th etopic?
lol, I woulda expected that in the PL.

Back on topic, the part that is covered, does it get dull, or hazy ? Do you think you would have to put a new application of that stuff in a few thousand more highway miles or so ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my IS300 for about 6 months, and I had the complete XPEL kit (bumper, hood, headlights) installed about a month after buying the car. Once installed, you cannot really tell there is anything there unless you are really looking for it. Although it is expensive, I would recommend it to anyone who is serious about protecting the front of their car from rock chips.

·
Latex salesman
5,625 Posts
Yes, I have the clear protection on the front, top of the roof, side mirrors and top of rear bumper. I bought the kit online and brought it to a local detail shop who installed it for me. I also bought a special kit for the front lights and fog lights. I love it! The bugs wipe right off!

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
After almost 1 yr and over 10k miles, it's held up real well. Like others said, unless you're looking for it, it's not so noticeable... Not as noticeable as hundreds of little nicks on your hood/bumper. I highly recommend this as well. I didn't drive on the hwy until I got it put on.

Someone mentioned pieces for your roof... Where & how much? My kit (Clearshield) covers the bumper, hood & side view mirrors. Would b interested in the fogs, headlights & roof.

·
Registered
647 Posts
A salesman (warning sign, I know) at my local dealership told me that they won't clear-bra over the headlights because it refracts light. Anyone else heard that?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts