Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, did a search on this first and did get some info...

So the guy who just tinted my car tried to talk me into having him do the 3m clear bra which would cover the whole front end, lights & side mirrors. He wanted $650 for the whole job, whic may not be so bad considering the dealership wanted like $1300 (which they lowered to 1k).

So few questions.
One is I'm trying to understand how the stuff works, meaning does it deflect what would normally cause nicks & scratches in the paint by deflecting rocks or absorbing the impact? I guess what I mean is after a few years without the stuff your front end would have some nicks and scratches. With the clear bra would it just look smooth like when you first bought it or would it still take a beating but only the 3m bra would look like hell and everything behind it would look fine, in which you'd want to replace it every few years?

My biggest hangup other than the initial cost is I have a white IS and I dunno if it's worse with white or not but I already have the 3m stuff around the door edges & door handles & top of the rear bumper. My eyes are simply drawn to the stuff because dirt seems to adhere to the edges making it so you can see the outline of the stuff easily. It bugs me a bit almost to the point where I want to rip it off. Because of that I'm wondering if it would annoy me on the front or if I'm just not cleaning the car enough when it's being washed? What are your guy's thoughts on this?

Lastly is $650 to have the 3m installed a decent deal? Has anyone ever tried installing this themselves or is that foolish?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Well, first off.... Don't try to install it yourself. It's not easy, and that car is difficult as well.

Let me give you some background on me... I've been doing this for quite some time now (been in business for 10 years). My partner is the #2 installer in the nation, #1 west of Texas... We only use the best products and the best software. Our clientelle is mostly Ferrari, Lamborghini owners, & they insist on the best. We are Venture and Land Rover certified as well.

3M is not the best product out there. It give the car an orange peel look and after awhile it yellows. especially on a white car, you don't want a yellow bra. The product I use is Ventureshield. It is used by Ferrari as OEM. I think Mercedes uses it too on the assembly lines (rear fender pieces on the CLS). Ventureshield won't yellow on you, which is really good for a white car. You are right, white and black cars are the worst, as they show everything.

$650.00 is not a bad price. Normally, I charge $590.00 for the clear bra and $100.00 more for the headlights. Yes, the dealers charge an arm & a leg, and then they call me to do it. I don't know where you are located, but I can match that price, and I can guarantee my work and the product as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the jist Flatline. I live up in Washington, so too bad for that... It's interesting that you say the 3m yellows over time cause I know that's what the dealer had installed on the doors & top of rear bumper. I actually didn't want the 3M stuff on the doors to begin with, just came with the car I wanted unfortunately.

So my other two points though can you give some details on that?

Seeing the edges, is that just a fact of the product? What would you recommend to clean the edges such that it removes the dirt, but doesn't end up breaking the seals around the edges such that dirt can creep further up & under. I know going through the Lexus car wash while it does a great job on the car overall, it doesn't remove dirt on the edges of the 3m stuff around the doors & top of rear bumper.

Also as far as how it protects against chips & rocks. Does it just take the damage itself or is it such a hard film that it deflects objects such that no harm to it or the paint underneath is done? I'm trying to understand this a little better. Mainly cause I want to know what the clear bra will look like after a few years. Sure it's great if it protects the front of the car, but if the bra after a few years looks just as beat up as the front of the car normally would, then I dunno that I see the point unless you replaced it every few years.

Lastly How easily is it to remove the 3m stuff around the door edges, under the door handles, and top of the rear bumper? I don't want to remove any of the cars paint and don't want a messy film either. Recommendations if i decide I want to remove it?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Clear bra is a eurethene film. It absorbs the rock chip, or whatever is thrown at it, and protects the paint underneath. I have clear bra on my car, and it looks like new, even after 2 years (car was hit, had to replace it). It will also help against scuffs. Somebody backed into my car, and left the clear bra scratched near the grill. I removed that piece, heated the bumper back into shape and re-applied a new piece of clear bra. Looks like nothing happened. If the bra was not on here, I know the paint would have been messed up for sure.

With proper maintenance, the clear bra will look like new for longer than you plan to own your car.

As far as the dirt long the edge. That just happens. I use an old tooth brush to clear away the dirt from the edge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Clear bra is a eurethene film. It absorbs the rock chip, or whatever is thrown at it, and protects the paint underneath. I have clear bra on my car, and it looks like new, even after 2 years (car was hit, had to replace it). It will also help against scuffs. Somebody backed into my car, and left the clear bra scratched near the grill. I removed that piece, heated the bumper back into shape and re-applied a new piece of clear bra. Looks like nothing happened. If the bra was not on here, I know the paint would have been messed up for sure.

With proper maintenance, the clear bra will look like new for longer than you plan to own your car.

As far as the dirt long the edge. That just happens. I use an old tooth brush to clear away the dirt from the edge.
thanks your information.... would you pm me about your details, my friend might be interested in good quality clear bra and install it for her new 3Bemmer ...
thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey Flat, your in Cali? Where's Northridge located? I'm in the bay and I been looking forward to put on a bra to avoid rock chips and such..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts