Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I'm close to making a deal on a used IS300 and am quite excited.
The car's previous owner was a smoker and the dealer did a great job to get most of the smell out of the seats and dash, but you can still tell. I was wondering what products you guys would recommend to clean the headliner and how to clean the A/C ducts and replace the filters (where is it)?.
Lastly, I was wondering if there is a perferred product for cleaning the stock muffler and tip.

thanks hopefully i can get some pictures up after I get the car and install the audio system

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
Get some Lysol Disinfecting Air Sanitizer Spray, and spray it in the vent under the windshield wipers with your heater or a/c controls on outside air (vent) and the fan speed on high. This will go through all the ducts and into the car it will clean that nasty smell outta there. You can do the same thing in the summer if your a/c starts to smell of mildew. This stuff is awesome!

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
and i prefer the "crisp linen" scent, in case you want specifics.

but seriously, let us know if this works for you, or if there is anything else you need to know about the car. welcome!

Reactions: StevenST

·
14,279 Posts
Oh yeah, I guess that was your first post. Welcome!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Welcome!

Try what they said and the headliner definately will hold some smell so I dont know what you can do about that. Maybe steam clean it?

Oh and the cabin filter is under the glove box.

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
Get some Lysol Disinfecting Air Sanitizer Spray, and spray it in the vent under the windshield wipers with your heater or a/c controls on outside air (vent) and the fan speed on high. This will go through all the ducts and into the car it will clean that nasty smell outta there. You can do the same thing in the summer if your a/c starts to smell of mildew. This stuff is awesome!

thats how I would do it, but you know, others may have another way

and make sure you get the crisp linen scent or I personally like the lemon scent

:lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
This might sound weird but I have read that placing a bowl full of white vinegar in your car overnight or whenever you are not using it will take the smell away. I think it was either honda-tech or team integra that a lot of people swore by this method. Anyway you can read about it by searching google for cigarette smoke vinegar. Good luck.

·
14,279 Posts
Haha nice username, it looks like, finally got anis. :lol:

·
Registered
4,888 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just get some febreeze and a brush. Scrub all your carpets down and headliner. Works great. Do everytime i wash my car. Takes out more dirt then just the plain old vacuum.

·
Registered
300 Posts
what you really should do is have a professional detail shop that has a de-oxidizer machine and pay them to clean your car. They use the same type of machine in hotel rooms that patrons smoke in. It pulls all the particles out of the air and changes the ion's and neturons, and decharges them and thus makeing fresh oxygen, >>>>im no mr. science i just know this machine does just that (so non smokeing rooms that get smoked in are cleaned this way) it takes a car prob 3 to 6 hours cuz a hotel room takes a day. And dont sit in your ride why they do this cuz it will suficate you. LOL seriously though i bought mine from a smoker too, and they did this never smelled again. Change the cabin air filter as well

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Try some ozium spray, and lots of it... Just don't inhale that stuff right after you spray it, its not good for you.

Or you could take up smoking and you'd never notice the smell again. haha

·
14,279 Posts
^^ I think you'll have to register a new username unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
yeah i would say just create a new one anis:approve:

:lol:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the warm welcome
Apparently there are many ways to get a lingering smoke smell such as orange peels, a jar of applesauce, vinegar, baking soda, lemon peels, coffee grounds in a sock. I'm going to try the Lysol stuff and if it doesn't work I'll have it de-oxidized.

How about for getting the shine back to the muffler?

·
Registered
4,888 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
My cousin bought a car that had a smoker as its previous owner. All he did was drive around with his windows down for like a month and the smell was gone. Its worth it because you can get some smokin' hot deals...pun intended

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey bud I just picked up my IS on the 4th and the previous owner smoked a few times in the car too, it had a faint smell. What I did was bought "Blue Coral" carpet cleaner - it smells awesome, I have used it in all my previous vehicles, that took a lot of the smell out of the carpets, then I picked up an air freshener.

As far as removing the smell out of the vents, I do detailing as a side-business and remember reading about a machine that you leave in the car overnight and it removes the smell via a chemical process.

I wouldn't recommend spraying anything toxic/chemical into your venting system - you will breathe it one way or another, even after letting it air out. Another thing I have read is to NOT place dryer-sheets in your car, apparently it has been scientifically proven that they cause respiratory problems...

Call up some local detail shops and ask them if they have an "ozone machine" to remove smoke smell out of a car, OR even better, if they have a "vapor steamer machine" to remove smoke.

Enjoy the car, (if you buy/bought it) I love mine, and hope you get the smoke smell taken care of.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts