Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow IS owners, (I love saying that), what do you recommend for a washing mit, and do you recommend a special type of soap? What to avoid, and should I use a shamme?<---(sp?)

I don't want any swirl marks, or ANYTHING abrasive.

what do you suggest?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
get a synthetic chamois like an absorber or something along those lines. you can try the cali water blade...they work great at removing water in large amounts quickly. i've read that a clean leaf blower works really well in drying off the car...and it blows the water out of the crevices too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've got one of those California Water Blades and it works great at removing the majority of water with very little friction. I use that with an absorber and together they work very well at drying the car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Re: the Cali Water Blade - do a search. Enough people worry about scratching or even have stories of it happening that *I* would never use it.

·
11,062 Posts
Hah, you must have noticed all the DUST (pollen?) already. I've already had the car washed again this morning on my way back from the dentist's office. The dealer did it Saturday, but it needed it again. I know folks driving by probably can't see it, but when I get up close it just bugs me. We do love that BLUE, but ya gotta keep after it.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, that pollen gets on there quick! People at work say they can't see it from five feet away, but if you look across it horizontaly it shows up, errr!

Oh well, I guess that's the price you pay for having the best color of blue ever put on a car, right?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Best color and soon to be unavailable in the 2002 model year

Originally posted by Kanine21:
Ya, that pollen gets on there quick! People at work say they can't see it from five feet away, but if you look across it horizontaly it shows up, errr!

Oh well, I guess that's the price you pay for having the best color of blue ever put on a car, right?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Ditto,

I use Meguiars Gold Class carwash, the water just beads off.

When it's time to dry, remove the spray nozzle and let the water from the hose rinse the car. Most of the water just beads off and there is very little water left on the car.

I then use a shop vac and blow the rest of the water off including the crevices. I rarely have to use a drying cloth.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My 2 cents on how to avoid swirls:
Get as much of the dirt off your car with a good spray of water.
Work from the top down when washing cause most of the really nasty stuff that sticks to your car is down by the tires. If any of that dirt gets onto the sponge and you run it across your paint your more likely to get swirls.
Finally, launder your wash mit. This gets any dirt out before you wipe it across the paint the next time around.

·
11,062 Posts
Originally posted by Kanine21:
...I guess that's the price you pay for having the best color of blue ever put on a car, right?
Yup. Go to a good shop and get the thing clay barred and clear coated. That will protect the finish. You won't have to wax so much. I plan on having any little scratches buffed out and clear coat applied every year or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
SeattleSheila
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing