Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any special thing that they really take pride in. Meaning what do you do to go the extra mile when cleaning your car. Please include what you use or how you clean somethin to make it really bling.

My touches (im sure im no the only one)

1) Cleaning the inside of my fender wells.(a must for non lowered or maybe 1" dropped cars) I use a wet rag and clean the wheel wells very good. While im usiing my tire foam on the tires i spray the foam in the wheel wells. This looks amazing...makes the car look brand new. The residue does not really pick up that much dirt(stays clean for awhile). Anyway, i c too many picks of clean cars with dirty fender wells.

2) I always clean my door jambs - Very basic, i use a wet rag to wipe them down, and a clean cloth to dry them. Be sure to do the jamb. both in the car and on the inside of the doors.

3) When rinsing the car...always take your sprayer off, run the hose over the car before drying. This makes drying a breeze. All the water sheets off the car. Not water droplets all over the car. This will save boat load of drying time if you do this before drying.

Well thats my tips...hope i can pick up a few myself

Off topic: Always boil water with a lid on. (sounds stupid, but you water will boil much faster)..took me 30 years to learn this one LOL

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Some nice tips bucman. I too always do my fender wells and door jams. I will have to try the rinsing method though. Sounds interesting. Come to think of it, I think I heard that before and then just forgot about it.

Tip 1 - I always blow out all of the seams, mirrors, door handles, lights, etc. with my air compressor air gun before I dry. Eliminates that annoying water running down your car.

Tip 2 - Of course, always work in the shade.

Tip 3 - Open all doors, hood, trunk when waxing. Go the extra mile, you can do a perfect wax job this way.

Tip 4 - Every so often I take a paint prep product and strip all of the waxes from the car. Start fresh with a wash, then clay bar, then polish and finally wax. It takes most of a day, but is well worth it.

Of course you have to enjoy it or you won't do a good job. I love 1 on 1 time with my baby.

I guess some of these are not tips, but oh well.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I'm to lazy lately, plus it's too freaken cold outside.
So all I do is wash and hit it with Mothers Instant Detailer.
Often get comments that my car is super shinny that way, and if I waxed it, he,he. Not what I would call a good job, but it will have to do it till it get's warmer.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bucman said:
Off topic: Always boil water with a lid on. (sounds stupid, but you water will boil much faster)..took me 30 years to learn this one LOL
Add a pinch of salt and the water will boil even faster, something about the mineral.

I like to use newspaper on my windows. I don't know why but it just screams "CLEAN" when you use paper on the glass instead of a towel

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used to have a Car Detail business and the thing I always did made the biggest difference in how the car looked.

Get a carpet cleaning type brush, you could possibly use a wire brush but I would make sure it was a soft wire.

After vacuuming the inside of the car, I take the brush and brush lines into the mats and carpet. Think of a lawn RIGHT AFTER you just mowed it. You see the perfect lines going back in forth. I do the exact same thing with the carpets. It looks AMAZING and makes the car look 20 times better.

Every Girl I date laughs at the lines in the carpet because she doesn't want to mess them up because it looks soo clean.

I dunno, just something I do. It is hard to do with black carpet though. Just my little special touch I guess.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Elite said:
I used to have a Car Detail business and the thing I always did made the biggest difference in how the car looked.

Get a carpet cleaning type brush, you could possibly use a wire brush but I would make sure it was a soft wire.

After vacuuming the inside of the car, I take the brush and brush lines into the mats and carpet. Think of a lawn RIGHT AFTER you just mowed it. You see the perfect lines going back in forth. I do the exact same thing with the carpets. It looks AMAZING and makes the car look 20 times better.

Every Girl I date laughs at the lines in the carpet because she doesn't want to mess them up because it looks soo clean.

I dunno, just something I do. It is hard to do with black carpet though. Just my little special touch I guess.
Thats true. When I vaccum my car, I use the brush tool and vaccum exact lines, which makes it look cleaner. I think I'm crazy.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Pet peeve of mine while washing the car occurs a few after I start driving it.

Water drips out of the inside bottom corner of the the driver and passenger side mirrors running down the sides of the car. Water also runs out the 2 corners of where the trunk meets the back bumper.

I usually be seen pulling into a strip mall using my quick detailer spray to take car of these imperfections.

Anyone know of a step to get the water that drips from these places before driving the car? (without use of blower)

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
B-Lexusfan said:
Pet peeve of mine while washing the car occurs a few after I start driving it.

Water drips out of the inside bottom corner of the the driver and passenger side mirrors running down the sides of the car. Water also runs out the 2 corners of where the trunk meets the back bumper.

I usually be seen pulling into a strip mall using my quick detailer spray to take car of these imperfections.

Anyone know of a step to get the water that drips from these places before driving the car? (without use of blower)
I was about to say to use a blower, but then I read that last sentence.
Any kind of compressed air should do it.

Or just let the car sit in one place until it all evaporates. Other than that I don't know of anyother way of doing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Use a nice high quality chamois to dry the car. Towels have too much lint.

When washing the windows I find the cheapest paper towels work the best, and even after you wash them go back with a new papertowel and continue to dry the remaining residue. It takes away all of the streaks and the windows look spotless.

A high quality wax should be used on this paint. It gives it that off the showroom look.

Always keep that interior clean to keep that new car smell lasting on and on, ahhhhhh....

·
Registered
963 Posts
DMTaylor said:
if you don't have access to compressed air where ever you are, just buy a can of air that's used to clean keyboards and such. i bet that'll work well.
dave
I've been using that method for years..the can of compressed air to clean computer parts. However, it does not work as well as I would like. It's just not strong enough to get all the water from the cracks out. I use it on the mirrors, where the mirror meets the body, trunk and gas door but water still comes flying out of the mirrors and trunk. I have yet to come up with a better solution (other than buying a bigger compressor haha) to solve this. So far, I just pull over after 3 blocks of driving, whip out my microfiber and wipe it off.

I also shove paper towels between the mirror and mirror housing to catch any water I can.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Guys what's the best stuff for the windows??

I don't have tinted windows so I like my glass to be super clean, but it's hard, with most of the stuff out there. I'm using Eagle one 20/20 and it does a good job. But what's better, is a plain old Vinegar, no streaks nothing. Easy to apply and easy to wipe off. Glass just shines like crazy. And there is no vinegar smell at all.
Negative would be that it's not good for all ruber parts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
here are a few that i can think of rite now

-if u want a really clean wash then have 2 buckets... one that u rinse ur towel/pad/glove/sponge or whatever u use and the second contains the water(warm) and car wash soap mixture( the mixture should have alot of suds, the more suds the more dirt lifting)

-clean in engine bay with a rag, and bucket of soap and water(warm), take your time to get all the grease..if u have to clean it over a period of time but that depends on how dirty ur engine bay is.

-tip on plastic/glass head lights, fogs, taillights- after washing use rubbing compound and with a gentle circular motion then wax this will shine them up

- dont use windex to clean insdie of ur windows if u have tints. the windex will cause the tint to change color and look purple. better to use car wash soap and water on a piece of paper towel or newspaper

- to get rid of that odd windshield wiper marks on windshield... use steel wool size 00 and 000 with some soap and water. in a circular motion do the enitre windshield keeping the wool lubercated with the soap/water mixture (repeat this step once with 00 and once with 000 sizes) then clean windshield like normal.. this should reduce the appearence of the wiper marks and bug/tar spots

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.