Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the a car's wheels can tell if someone is interested in cars.... I notice this everytime I see my sister's Audi A4 2.8 Quattro. They looked like they are painted BLACK as they are completely caked with Brake Dust all the time. Myself on the otherhand cleans my wheels almost after every drive. Well the majority of people in this forum are enthusiats and I'm willing to bet that most of you keep your Wheels and car spotless most of the time....TEG probably cleans his wheels less cause they're graphite

Eric....

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am with ya. I try to keep my car immaculate. I love the look of a clean shine. Very sharp.

I tell ya though, I have noticed that the break dust is not that bad on the IS. I know some people who have the BMW and my brother has a BMW 330I coupe, wheels get dirty fast. I wonder why?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ISFan,
The Brake Pads found on European cars like BMW's and Audi's have brake pads of a different composite that produce TONS more brake dust. Some BMW enthusiasts say that those pads help the car to stop faster... YEAH.. ok... then why do the Lexus GS and IS have the shortest brake distances in their class. My E55 AMG is bad and I have to clean them constantly... Lexus is different and the wheels have to be cleaned less frequently....
Eric.....

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To add another twist to this post, How many of you guys wash your cars on your own as opposed to taking it to the BRUSHLESS CARWASH. I take my car to the brushless car wash when it's dirty (FLAGSHIP) and get the Ultimate Wash.... Well I guess your cars are too new to have it detailed... I'll probably get it done once a year.....
Eric....

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
861 Posts
I always wash my car. reason

1. If anything happens i can only blam myself
2. I don't want to scrach my rim's!
3. Swirl mark's!!!!!!! (most likely should be 1.)
4. They never dry the car right and they use towle's and push really hard

Martin

Black/Ivory IS300

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I will take a stand for the lazy-ass members of this forum. I don't wash my car. I take it to the dealer. If they screw it up, it's ok, they're getting it back anyway. On the other hand, when I do wash my car, it takes hours, even on the Miata. Details, tedious details...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I do my own car wash, but with out a hose I have to use run in and out of my house to fill up water bucket. takes me an hour just to wash the car. I never finish applying the maguair's 3 step system on the whole car before it gets dark. I just do rear end one day. front another day. side the next, and so on.

its tough..

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
With my old MR2 I got a free car wash with fill-up at the local gas station after every 8 gallons of gas.

With my new IS300 I have used one of those quarter operated self-serve "touchless" drive up car wash bays (with soap/rinse/wax/tire-clean/etc) already about 5 times since I got the car (and I have 650miles on it now).

So - since the IS300 is new and the nicest car I have had so far, I am doing a little extra. I will probably settle into the wash with fill-up in a little while.

I do park my IS300 on the street in front of my house since my garage is full of junk (including the motorcycle), so I may wash it regularly, but it is fairly necessary since it is getting a little bird-do-do treatment now and then.

There is a really nice $8.00 full service car wash nearby that all the "fancy" cars use. I am tempted, but there is always a long line, and I guess I don't have the time.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Many times I see a car that has been washed and waxed (well, it's clean and shiny anyway) but the rims are still dirty. Sometimes there is even tire dressing, but the rims are as black as the tire!

·
Registered
258 Posts
EricK, You and I are from the same area! I also use Flagship and have been using them for a good while. You do know the owner and his son are Lexus enthusiats right?

As you all can tell, I do use an automatic wash. They do a fantastic job though (tell them to shut the wheel brushes off though, they will destroy your wheels).

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Stephen:
EricK, You and I are from the same area! I also use Flagship and have been using them for a good while. You do know the owner and his son are Lexus enthusiats right?

As you all can tell, I do use an automatic wash. They do a fantastic job though (tell them to shut the wheel brushes off though, they will destroy your wheels).

Hi Stephen,
It's nice to see that we're neighbors! I have been using Flagship for the last two years. They do a fantastic job and keep my car, wheels & tires shining. I had no idea that the owner and his son were Lexus enthusiats. Well I've never met them when I had my GS400. I had no idea there were wheel brushes at flagship's automatic wash (since it's supposed to be brushless).
...My AMG wheels don't seem scratched at all.
Eric....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Eric, The brushes are designed to clean the sidewalls of the wheels. Well, even on my LS400 the tires are so low profile that the brushed hit the wheels. Only really a problem if you have machined or chromed wheels. As for the owner, he has a 2000 GS400 and his son has a 1999 LS400 exactly like mine. They have good taste

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by kota:
My wheels are as black as night. I guess that means I don't like cars...
.... well I guess you disprove my assumption. All of my friends that are crazy about cars keep them spic & span and my friends that don't give a care haven't washed their car in months and months....You're an exeption to the Rule KOTA
.... In the DC area I still have yet to see a dirty IS300.
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm definitely one who wants to keep that showroom look as long as possible so I wash myself every weekend, weather permitting. I love that look of clean wheels and paint after a nice coat of wax! It kills me to see so many nice cars with huge, dried up, caked on bird sh!ts!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Originally posted by gmej:
I'm definitely one who wants to keep that showroom look as long as possible so I wash myself every weekend, weather permitting.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Freaking hilarious! I just noticed that I typed in that I wash MYSELF every weekend. Yeah, once a week keeps my fumes down to a minimum, weather permitting, of course.

·
Registered
424 Posts
For myself, I like to clean my car on a weekly basis and try to keep it in showroom condition always. Since my last car, I never take it to automatic car wash. It takes me close to an hour to wash the car as I also clean the wheels, door gaps every single time. During the winter, I may just use the water to rince it as there won't be any water spots embedded in the paint after Zymol application as the temperature is not high enough.

I rely heavily on the Zymol wax application to keep my car clean and in top shape as I find that a well-conditioned car tends to reply dirts.

I will usually wax my car a few times a year, weather permitting.

The only area that I pay minimum attention is the carpets but since I cover them with the rubber mats all the time and I clean the mats every time I wash the car, I find the condition acceptable.

andy

·
2,909 Posts
I don't see why anyone would want to not wash their car. I guess if they are lazy then that's their choice, but other wise it's your hard earned money going into the car why not treat your car in the correct manner.

When it comes to the wheels however if you don't wash your car often then at the minimum at least clean the brakedust off. It really says alot about a person.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts