Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
Is the Toyota Solara (2dr coupe) supposed to compete with the Acura CL? If so, how do they stack up? I think they look the same....am I on crack?

agent, as always, u are on crack,
but you're right: they look somewhat similar. the cl has a more aggressive front end clip, and it's not as wedgy as the solara...but it's close

·
Registered
262 Posts
In the latest issue of C&D, they test a TRD Solara. The as-tested price is $31K (about the same as a CL-S). This Solara beats the CL-S in just about every performance category, including 0-60.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a Solara V6 earlier this year. I would choose it over the new CL/CL-S any day. It has slightly more space and the difference in price easily pays for the TRD supercharger. Plus, it's available in stickshift.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not posting this message just to be picky, but i thought i'd let you know that TRD has a "subdivision" called L-Tuned which is specific to Lexus tuning. I'm sure that some of the TRD stuff would work just fine on a Lexus, but if perfection and less hassle is what your after than L-Tuned is more for you. Just to let you know, they don't have a IS3 specific kit out just yet, but i'm hearing through my grapevine that one is coming just in time for the 2002 model, though i (or my grapevine) could be wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One of the members on the Celica board bought an automatic Solara with the TRD Supercharger and Kazuma pulleys and ran the 1/4 mile in 13 seconds at 104MPH.

=)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'd go for the Solara. It's much better looking than the new CL, and with the TRD mods, it kicks ass. Not to mention, you can have it with the manual tranny.
I remember reading an issue of C&D which featured a TRD modified Solara making 267 hp, and 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. But I suppose this was not the production version. The production TRD Solara, which is featured in the current issue of C&D makes less hp and is slower in 0-60 (6.3s). I suppose this is due to emissions issues with the faster/meaner Solara that showed up earlier.
Anyways, my verdict: I'll go with the TRD Solara. It's faster, more reliable, better looking, and it's much easier to smoke the wheels in it (which I'd love to do). Not to mention, it can be had for about the same price as the CL (add $2K for a pop out Nav).
Plus, I hate the CL's looks. Sorry Geoff.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
86 Posts
Originally posted by hasanazhar:

Anyways, my verdict: I'll go with the TRD Solara. It's faster, more reliable, better looking, and it's much easier to smoke the wheels in it (which I'd love to do). Not to mention, it can be had for about the same price as the CL (add $2K for a pop out Nav).
Plus, I hate the CL's looks. Sorry Geoff.
faster?? 0.1 seconds! woo-hoo

Seriously though. The only Solara that is much quicker than the CL-S is the one with pulleys that is putting out well over 300hp. Like to see how long that tranny lasts!! If you want power AND reliability a CL-S with headers and intake is just as fast (if not faster) as the base TRD Solara package.

more reliable?? how so? Toyota and Honda products across the board are equally reliable.

Not doggin' you cuz you prefer the Solara, but it seems pretty obvious that styling the 5spd are really the ONLY reasons that you prefer the Solara.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Golden,
0.1 seconds faster??? Where do you get your numbers? The superhcharger gives the TRD Solara 275 hp at 5,200 rpm and 350 lb.-ft. at 4,400 rpm. All this means a 0-60 in ~5.6 seconds while a CL-S will do it in 6.57. Try moving your decimal point to the right and next time DO SOME FREAKIN' RESEARCH!!!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
and its obvious golden that you either dont' know the specs of the stock solara and the trd solara or you are just plain stupid

·
Registered
86 Posts
Originally posted by SpectraBlueIS300:
Golden,
0.1 seconds faster??? Where do you get your numbers? The superhcharger gives the TRD Solara 275 hp at 5,200 rpm and 350 lb.-ft. at 4,400 rpm. All this means a 0-60 in ~5.6 seconds while a CL-S will do it in 6.57. Try moving your decimal point to the right and next time DO SOME FREAKIN' RESEARCH!!!
I suggest you and the other idiot that mentioned my name pick up a copy of the latest Car & Driver. There is an article about the Solara. The base TRD package for the Solara gives it 242hp. The 0-60 is 6.3 WITH THE 5spd. The CL-S is 6.4 according to MotorTrend although many owners are getting even LOWER times.

The numbers you mention are probably for the Solara with more boost and the Kazuma pulleys. Yes, that one hauls azz!

Before you come in here spouting off numbers, perhaps YOU should do some research

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
15 Participants
Farch
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing