Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked at the latest Motor Trend where they compare BMW's 328ci against Acura's much cheaper CL-S. The Acura did 0-60 in 6.4 seconds versus 328ci's 7.1 seconds.... Acura's quartermile time was 14.8 seconds at 96.5 mph! and the 328ci only managed 15.3 seconds at 89.6mph.... Just to let you guys know where the IS300's competitors stand....
Eric.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
I saw the article. Acura CL Type S gets B+ for exterior styling? I don't think so. This blend little beast gets C (at the most) from me.

But if the car looked nicer, I would've bought it. For the money, it's a great package.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree Filburt.... It's a great deal on paper..... though it looks like the Wise Owl...
Eric...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to Motor Trend the CL-S is just as fast as the Mercedes Benz CLK 430 coupe (hardtop model)4.3 liter 275hp.. 0-60= 6.5 seconds and quarter mile 14.8sec /96.5mph... ..While the CL-S does it in 6.4 sec and 14.8/96.5mph as well....
Eric.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Only reason for not getting CL-S:

My 82 year old O chem professor doesn't even look good driving in it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That CL-S is growing on me for some reason.....I'm starting to actually want to go to an Acura dealer and check it out.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kim,
If I were in the market to buy either the IS300 or the Acura CL-S, then I would choose the IS300 (without a doubt).... I did test drive the CL-S and no it's not a bad car and I think that a test drive can't hurt. Go test drive it.... I think you'll still want the IS300 though..
Eric....

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well the CL-S and the 328Ci aren't direct competitors, at least not until Totyota makes an Altezza coupe and brings it over here. What would they call it though? The Lexus ISC 300???

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Okay, I gotta jump in here. There may not be a better value on the market. Agreed! But, I believe it will come down to you admitting that you gave up a ton of styling to get more features. Also, fit and finish isn't quite Lexus like. It's still good, though. And don't even think about it, Kim, unless you get that GPS. I'll scream.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I definitely think the CL-S and 328ci are direct competitors... How would an Altezza coupe be a closer competitor to the CL-S than the 328ci (aside from price).. I think if there was an Altezza coupe here, it would be just as equivalent competitor as the 328ci against the CL-S.....
Eric.....

·
Registered
423 Posts
I did test drive the CL-S two weeks ago (bored of waiting for more IS300 news). I must say the exterior, in the flesh, is the blandest of bland - vastly more dull than the Integra and Prelude I've owned. The sales guy was very apologetic and agreed with me on the missed opportunities for styling improvements.

However the interior was very high class and feels more expensive than the IS, although very cramped in the back (more so I think than Accord coupe on which it is based).

I took it from 0 to 70 and it didn't 'feel' that fast in terms of acceleration (left in full auto mode) and became pretty noisy above 5000rpm. The Audi A6 2.7t I test drove last month (which is about as quick on paper) felt scarily fast in comparison. I was also unimpressed with the manual shifting of the auto-box which seemed a little slow to change gears - hopefully the IS300 will be better. Every Lexus I've driven including the Rx300 I own and the GS300/400 I've driven have much smoother engines at high revs.

The kicker for me is the lease cost, which I know Kim is interested in. After some haggling Acura of Denville dropped the lease cost to $535 per month ($2K down) for 15K miles/36 months for a 'fully loaded vehicle' including rear spoiler, nav, wood trim kit etc costing about $34k. This is more than I am expecting to pay for my IS300 (hopefully under $500 per month) which is a slightly more expensive vehicle.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Sounds like Acura doesn't have high hopes of a decent residual value and/or he factored in a ridiculous APR.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think the CL-S will be some way off the residual value of the IS300, hence leasing seems to be cheaper for the Lexus.

·
Registered
511 Posts
After watching the latest offset crash test I was reminded why I drive a BMW and why I plan on getting one for my wife. There are other cars with equal ratings but BMW has strong, safe cars for years. It is not all about hp and 1/4 times. I would hazard a guess that the CL wouldn't fair as well. The results are also indicative of the engineering and structural rigidity of the car that affect the cars overall "feel". That is something the Japanese have yet to duplicate in any car except maybe the S2000.

So, ask yourself, will the extra $5-8k mean much if your wife breaks both her legs?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Brad, I just want to see it in the flesh...or steel. And maybe test drive it. The exterior is growing on me though. I don't need a NAV system. I still like the IS300 better. And I do agree, Eric, the 328Ci and CL-S are direct competitors. It's even listed on Acura's website that the 328Ci is a "competitor". I'm hoping to lease for under $500, or maybe even finance for under $500 for 60 months. I also hope to be able to drive the car home on June 24th (wishful thinking
)

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
That, my friend, is what the Japanese will probably never be able to replicate.

·
Registered
144 Posts
After reading all the praise for the BMW in this forum I was wondering if I am the only one that ever had a problem with a BMW? My ownership experience was not that pleasant.
I would like to point out that the IS300 has not been crash tested yet and that the LS400 was rated the best in it's class for safety in the offset crash test. I don't think Lexus
will want an unsafe car with their name on it.
Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
The only beef I have with BMW is lack of standard equipment on the 3 series. I wish the 328i had the standard equipment that the IS300 has. Or better yet, if the 328Ci had the equipment the CL has. Other than that I like Bimmers.
. But I won't get one knowing what Lexus has to offer now.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Builder1,
As I've said in numerous posts. My parents have had many BMW's since the mid 80's and have A LOT of problems with the majority of their cars. My mom currently drives a 1998 BMW 540i (not a trouble free two years by any mean). My father's 2000 740iL has a leak in the coolant resevoir and needs to take it to the shop. So to sum it up... You are NOT alone in having problems with your bimmer. I haven't had any problems with my GS400... none..

Eric......

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
18 Participants
EricK
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing