Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a post to response to brad's post to the Acura CL-S comment of performance.

In the July issue of Motor Trend, the Acura CL is compared to the BMW 328 coupe and won the comparison. If Im not mistaken, the Acura CL is much less expensive then the 328, so therefore your theory that the CL is priced cheap because the "car doesnt accelerate well once you get to 90" really doesn't hold to much water. Unless you are living in Germany, and are on the Autobahn everyday is there really a reason to accelerate at a signifigant rate above 90mph ANYWHERE in this country?

If you can't pass people safely or get onto the highway at a decent speed (I think the Cl-S has a 0-60 in like 6.5 seconds), with your CL-S then there is either something wrong with your car, or missed your calling in life and you need to start racing Formula 1 cars around a track.

Sorry to all the Lexus IS300 people out there, I won't waste any more board space.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like everything about the CL-S except the styling. That is one ugly car. I mean, it's so boring. I wish the Acura designers could've been more innovative.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Kim:
I like everything about the CL-S except the styling. That is one ugly car. I mean, it's so boring. I wish the Acura designers could've been more innovative.[/QUOTE

While I admit the styling is a bit more conservative then IS300, I think the styling of the Cl is actually very nice. Almost everyone I know or have asked about the car thinks it is a "nice" car, nothing more... so I see your point when you say its not a head turner, but it turns my head and I think that s what mainly counts. I think the IS300 is nice looking style wise on the exterior, and that is the only reason Im holding out to test one. However, for the money the CL-S is just "Much" more car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll give the CL that. You get a bunch of goodies that you would normally have to pay extra for. I was very impressed with its list of standard features. Maybe if it had a different design, I would mosey on down to my local Acura dealer. And the price, can't complain one bit about it. Exterior styling and design is a very important factor for me, and the CL just doesn't do it for me. If it looked more like the Integra, I would definitely consider it. But whatever floats your boat HKINGS. As long as your happy with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kim,
I coulnd't agree with you more. If I test the IS300 and it floats my boat, I will not hesitate to drop the extra cash for it! I also want to thank you for having a mature chat with me, there are alot of imature morons in here whom really don't seem quailified to sit behind the wheel of any luxary car, be it a Lexus, Acura, BMW, or Audi.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I think we agree to disagree. We all pretty much agree that Acura CL (particularly Type S) represents a great value, and is technically an excellent car (my only quibble: so so handling).

Ultimately though.... if you are gonna plunk down over $30K for a car, you better have emotional connection as well. Like Kim said, the car's exterior styling does not do it for me (reminds me of Toyota Camry Solara). But if you like it, then good for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No doubt. A car is a big investment, and you want to love what you get, when all things are considered! IMO the CL-S is a bigger style change for 'me' then the IS300 is in certain respects. I have a 94 Accord right now, and I actually think that the IS300 is more similarly styled to that then the CL is. I'm not saying that they are exact (Don't start jumping down my throat IS300 fans), I know the IS300 is nicer, its just somewhat close to what I have body style wise. But I guess thats why there are different car comapnies and different models! So we all have choices.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
How does the CL-S compare in size to the Lexus SC series. I know that there is absolutely no leg room in the back of an SC Lexus... ...?
Eric....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
HKINGS, you have missed my point. The Acura Type S will not be known to have mediocre mid range acceleration. NO, I AM NOT GOING TO DRIVE IT 90+ ALL THE TIME, DAMN IT. But, knowing it cannot run with competitors at that range bothers me to no end. It also bothers me that I can't get GPS on the IS, YET. I came very close to getting the Type S, but it is more pretender than contender due to the proper gearing ratios for this car. Value and do-dads will not win ME over when you cut corners on the engineering. But, yea, it is still a great car. So, my theory DOES hold water for ME. Have fun with your choice and hopefully you will tell us about the pros and cons.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Oops, it WILL be known to have mediocre midrange. Sorry.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Brad, I think you should get an Audi S4 and be happy. You'll have speed, NAV system, and AWD. How's that? Get the funky blue one too. And maybe you'll get a good deal on it. You like Audi's anyway, so why not try that?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Brad,
This is my advice... Get the IS300 now, then wait and see if Audi puts a V8 into their A4 and get that in a couple years if Lexus doesn't put the 245hp engine in the IS300...
Eric.....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
K & E, you know I have thought about the S4 quite a bit. It is so understated that how can you help but fall in love with it. But I guess the real test will be the test drive in mid June. The GPS on the Audi at this point is a joke, unfortunately. The test drive will tell me and all of us the biggest piece to this puzzle. If I'm not dazzled I am considering repainting my 53 Packard. It is 100% origninal so I have a little hesitation but man would it look fine. That way I'd have something to do until the 2002 A4 and IS come out. It will be one of those two.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts