Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'd taket he m3, sure you have more mileage etc....but the m3's torque curve is flatter, andt he car is more performance oriented. the m3 isn't that fast in the straight line but ify ou take it into a corner you'll see why car and driver rated it the best handling car over 30k in 1997.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I think I would go for the M3, at the limit I would think the M3 would just walk away from the IS. The M3 may be a little shy on the reliability build quality, but the fun quotient, for me, would outweigh those issues.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah, yeah - you guys have been making this point for months. We know you like the M3 more than an IS300.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Excellent car. Just sooooo expensive. 50k is alot of money (although price is not much of a consideration for most M3 buyers).

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cis300 asked th question in the post you locked and well, yeah......performance wise, the m3 will probaly always rock the is300.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
mrclam was talking about the E36 M3 (1995-2000) so it was more like $40K and closer in performance to the IS300 (although still much better in 0-60)

Some people considered buying a low mileage E36 M3 rather than a new IS300.

I considered getting a 1997 M3 sedan, but I decided for $30K+ I wanted a _brand-new_ car (even if performance is a bit less).

Hey MrClam - I bet the IS300 stereo and HID lights can outdo the E36 M3 equivalents.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hahahahhahha teg
the m3's stock stereo sucks crap
and so do the lights.. =)
i'm thinking about getting euro lights(even though they're illegal) or maybe tyring to get some xenons in. the m3 loses to the IS in braking power i think, but it owns the IS in straight line speed and cornering. but i agree, if you want a new car around 30k, the IS is a pretty good deal =)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was scrolling looking your the answer, finally found it. I think you guys miss this part "equal HP". M3 is an excellent car my brother have 97 2dr, he beat v8 mustang in straight line(2x). Clam watchout for the water pump, hope the previous owner rpl the plastic propeller w/metal one.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the water impeller problem was in 95 only =)

as one of my friends once put it, the m3 only has 240 hp, but it makes use of every one of thos e240 horses. (also possibly because the later models actually had 250
)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can back up Mrclam on the HP comment. Recently (4weeks ago) we had about 5 M Coupes and 1 M Roadster dynoed. Out of the 5 only 1 had 205hp, 1 had 218, 2 had 223, 1 had 228 and the roadster had 238 (not stock).

This is at the wheel and the 205 converts to 241 the 218 to 256, etc to crank. (divide by .85 to get crank #s).

All of the M Coupes were stock. Some were dynoed twice after upgrading software which showed no gain or in some cases a slight loss.

Rick Kim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
cis300
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing