Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I dropped by the dealership today to get a free car wash :approve:

Anyway while I was there I noticed an IS with chrome wheels. It was the standard 17" wheels on an IS but they were chrome. Glanced at the window sticker and saw that they charge $1995 to trade in your current wheels for the exact same ones in chrome. And that didn't even include a bottle of vaseline either... I called up the sales guy who sold me the car and he confirmed it. Asked if he could do anything better on the price and he said no... I like the OEM wheels very much and would love to get them chromed, but $500 per wheel to chrome them is friggin nuts...

So has anyone ever done this aftermarket? What were the results? Any recommendations? Do tire shops do this? If not what places do?

I should have taken a picture and posted cause it looked very nice IMO. In any case any feedback would be very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Many people dont like them an would rather have the gunmetal or alloys..

Check the for sale usually theres a set or two in there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw some others there as well, but please tell me (as I appear to be in the dark here), are the standard ones not alloy? Also I did see one with what appeared to be a brushed nickle color, is that the gunmetal color you're referring to? I've seen the chrome / black ones that have been creeping up within the last couple years and while I like them a little, I'm not all that hooked yet, but they are growing on me...

Also when you said people don't like them, do you just mean the style of chrome is going out or is there another reason? Please be honest, no feelings will be hurt here :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops, my bad, I have a 2006. Guess I posted in the wrong section. Oh well any input would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I have some stock 17" IS wheels that Im gonna be selling soon that are chrome. Im asking around 700 for all 4 of them with tires.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Paying $2K for that is ridiculous. Just buy a used set for WAAAAAYYYY cheaper. Check the forum or ebay.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
That's way too much to pay for a set of OEM wheels considering you can get a far more superior and better looking wheel for that price range.

Like what others have said, you can probably find a good deal on them in the fs forum because the majority of the folks don't like chrome. Not everyone is into the whole "bling" look for their IS. It's not that its in style, but everyone has different preferences. In my own opinion, they look hideous on our cars.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I saw some others there as well, but please tell me (as I appear to be in the dark here), are the standard ones not alloy? Also I did see one with what appeared to be a brushed nickle color, is that the gunmetal color you're referring to? I've seen the chrome / black ones that have been creeping up within the last couple years and while I like them a little, I'm not all that hooked yet, but they are growing on me...

Also when you said people don't like them, do you just mean the style of chrome is going out or is there another reason? Please be honest, no feelings will be hurt here :)
Well Im not a fan of chrome really unless its on SUV's but even then Id prefer stock suv rims since the purpose to me is to increase traction, but im not hating trust me to each thier own. Chrome can look good just thats not the look I go for.

Anyways there are 3 types I believe on the IS one is the Chrome one alloy the light grey an then gunmetal the darker grey. I have gunmetal, I like it looks a little more sporty than the other too although im riding on Volks now.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
700 on ebay with trade of ur rims.

D

or check out club lexus, their new vendor over there has them forsale.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I got my stock chromies for under $400 on the forums here. Search around, you'll find some!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I can chrome your stockies for about $125.00 per wheel. The local dealer used to use me to do this. Yea, I charged them $500 for the set, and they marked it up to $2000. Highway Robbery, I tell you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so I'm getting the impression chrome is either a thing of the 80s and or meant for SUVs / chicks only. Least that appears to be the general consensus...

So with that what have some of you done with your OEM wheels to bling them up a bit? I don't dislike the standard OEM look, but on the other hand it just looks a bit boring to me. I wouldn't mind a stainless steel, some other brushed look, or possibly even a gunmetal finish. So please post pics or ideas. I'm certainly open to opinions here.

Also if anyone has repainted there wheels, what did you do it with and how has it turned out and held up? And do you have any pics?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
The big trend right now is powdercoating. There are so many different colors and options. It's awesome. They have a gunmetal, and a finish that is similar to hyperblack. Also, powdercoating won't chip like painting does on the wheels. It is relatively cheap too, I think a set of 18" wheels is about $250.00 or so.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do like the look of the OEM wheels just not nessassarily the finish / color, so do you simply apply a powder coat on top of existing wheels? If I decide to take this route is it better to get it professionally done or is it the kind of thing one can do themselves? If so what work is involved?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
^ Powdercoating is basically spraying a powder like paint onto the wheels or any metals, then it is baked into a large like oven. The powder melts which leaves a hardened finish when its cured.

Most powdercoating places strip the existing finish on a wheel. For OEM wheels, since there is paint on them, they would most likely strip it down, then apply the powdercoat.

Since you have a White IS250, a bronze color would set off your car. Would look good in my opinion. A white car with bronze wheels is always a plus. My old car was white with bronze wheels and it was a perfect match.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts