Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off - my computer is all ufcked up and has been freezing like every 5 mins, so please, no 'do a search' responses...i have tried and after reading 2 or 3 posts, everything freezes up...

so i got pulled over in the san fernando valley in so cal and the cop ticketed me for my greddy exhaust, my 20% tint, no front plate, and hiper white turnsignals - no i am not complaining, i know with all that isht on my car, it is only a matter of time before you get rocked - any way, so after all that he has me pop my hood and then he tickets me for my SRT intake...

What i need to know is if there is any documentation I can get that says that my intake is legal? or if i can just go get my car smog checked and use that to show my mods are legal (as long as i pass, which i should)...

also, am i looking at a fine or can i just go back to stock to clear it all up (if i can't convince them that it's all legal)?

i know that have to change my rear turn signals and put my exhaust back to stock, get those signed off, and then i can put them back, and with the tint, i can either take it off or just pay a $90 fine (i have been busted for the windows 3 times on two different cars, yeah I know should just take it off, but it looks so much better with it!!) :D

any info you guys can provide would be really helpfull - especially from those in Ca who have had the same dilemma.

Justin

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
actually, since SRT HFI isnt CARB certified, it is illegal.
but, this is what you could've/should've done.
since the cop cannot make you open the hood, unless he has a valid reason (ie: "i heard your BOV") or a warrant(duh), tell him politely you feel that his violating your civil rights by making you open the hood.

he shouldnt've pulled you over for exhaust tho.
if you do a search, or just simply check the FAQ sticky, you'll find a copy of a document regarding exhaust systems(the 95db rule thing).

·
Registered
90 Posts
23109VC said:
you must look like a punk ass rice boy..

cops don't f*ck with nice looking law abiding people...
what made you just randomly say that?
I dont think that was really neccesary... :roll:
Are you a nice looking law abiding person? I'm sure you speed so dont say dumb shit like that, plz.

anyways, you shouldnt have popped you hood. that sux.

·
Registered
517 Posts
call up aem and slap a aem carb sticker on there tell them your intake didnt have stickers get a aem sticker on there and take it in there that is what i do..

Joe

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
i dont think aem is carb cert.
only K&N typhoon intake and maybe their plastic one too (FPIK? or something like that)

the front plate is proly what got you pulled over. thats the easiest way to get a ticket.
exhaust shouldnt have been ticketed, although, once a cop stops you, every mod is fair game,regardless what the laws say.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm not sure about the laws in California but I can NEVER understand why people open their hoods for cops. I guess some people just get that afraid of them. You need a WARRANT to search a vehicle. The engine is no special exception. I would never open my hood for a cop, I don't care what he threatened me with. Now since I'm fairly sure the cop assumed you had an intake because of your exhaust and stuff, he did have borderline probable cause to search your car. HOWEVER, even with that said I'm not sure that an illegal exhaust qualifies as probable cause to search the entire vehicle.

Since your car has been searched already there is basically nothing you can do :(. If the police officer searched your car without your permission, then you might be able to go after the police department for an illegal search. My advice for future reference- if a cop asks you to open your hood NEVER consent to it. That way you always have a shot at getting back at the police department if your car is searched illegally.

·
Registered
104 Posts
so i got pulled over in the san fernando valley in so cal and the cop ticketed me for my greddy exhaust, my 20% tint, no front plate, and hiper white turnsignals - no i am not complaining, i know with all that isht on my car, it is only a matter of time before you get rocked - any way, so after all that he has me pop my hood and then he tickets me for my SRT intake...
Sorry folks but if you are pulled over legally (vehicle violation, probable cause), the officer can conduct a "vehicle inspection" of your engine bay. This is NOT considered a vehicle search and does not require your consent.

Your ticket should have included an 800 number to call in order to locate the nearest "State Referee" which will determine what you need to do in order to comply with California Vehicle code.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the help guys, i am just gonna put the sticker of a legal intake on it and try to pass it off...

and btw, my car does not look rice at all! hahaha it's funny that you said that becuz i get complimented regularly on how nice it looks and sounds - and not by 'ricers,' but from people who appreciate classy and quality mods...if i wanted to take the time to upload a picture i would, just so you could put permanently in your mouth! lucky for you I am mad lazy! thanks.

oh, about the double posting in both forums, i know i shoudnt have but i really wanted to make sure i got as many readers and info as possible.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
23109VC said:
you must look like a punk ass rice boy..

cops don't f*ck with nice looking law abiding people...
ban

1 - 14 of 14 Posts