Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so heres my ordeal,

i'm a 25 year old guy who graduated from dental school last year.. ive been busting my balls for the last one year in my hand-me-down 1982 toyota corolla courtesy of my dad.. i asked nicly if he would like to share his 645i or cls 63 amg, but he said no (something gay abt making it on your own in life as a doctor, whatever that means)

i could have leased an okay people mover like the accord or camry, but you see ive been saving up ($32k by now).. its the worst driving car ever, does 0-62 in 28 sec and the sex appeal is the equivilant of a tub of lard, ive been noticing it takes four times the alcohol to get laid now, but hey thats irrelevant cuz chicks dont dig money, its sense of humour ryte..:suspiciou

so here are my options, as you can guess it will be my daily driver (no wife/no kids, so the 2 door 4 door or practicality issue isnt a concern here).. ive worked really hard for my first car, even my gardner has a 98 corolla.. so im looking for head turning looks, (something the honeys would notice) and something that would satisfy a true petrol head need for speed.. frankly im getting rather sick of taxi drivers running my corolla off the road (mistaking me for a sri lankan gardner)

05' bmw z4 3.0
06' lexus is 300 (this is the only variant we have here)
05' infiniti g35 coupe
04' bmw 530i
05' mercedes slk 200

those are alot of options i know, and the cars happen to be from different categories altoghter.. this is a really tricky choice, also it would really help if someone who owned some of these cars could actually compare it to the IS.. i know this is an IS forum, but please be impartial;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well yes those are cars in different classes, but like you, I actually considered some of those vehicles before eventually picking an IS 250. Here are my opinions on those cars

BMW z4 3.0i : I was seriously thinking of getting this car. Unfortunately, practicality bit me in the ass. Great car, great sex appeal with the chicks (get it in RED then take the top off and watch the girls do the same) Speed wise, its good for 14's in the 1/4 and that inline six is pretty sweet. Problems: handling could be better, ride is stiff (on runflats), interior room is tiny, not comfortable riding for long hours, luggage space tiny as well (only good for enough luggage for a weekend trip)

06 Lexus IS (im not sure if you meant IS 350 or the older 300): Pros: performance + practicality; 300 = good performance, great modification potential, 350 = kick yourself in the nuts performance; sex appeal is decent (lexus = money and luxury), interior room is decent (if you are not that tall) luxury and comfort top notch, RELIABILITY (best out of all the cars you mentioned). Cons: interior room small if you are a big guy, you dont have that "euro class" appeal

05 Infinity G35 Coupe: Pros: top notch performance, 50/50 wt dist, great handling, hi performance 3.5 v6 good for 14s 1/4 mile; good reliability (vq engine is built tough, had a friend with 200,000 miles in his maxima) Cons: interior quality a bit on the cheap side (the newer redesigned models have better interior), noisy inside, luxury and comfort not as refined as the others

04 BMW 530i and Mercedes SLK 200 I have no experience with these cars; from what I know, Mercedes cars have the worst reliability ( i think even worse than american cars; check consumer reports)

If you want pure sex appeal, go with the BMW Z4. Pure performance, G35 coupe. Good blend of performance, luxury, practicality and great reliability, go with the Lexus.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
My dad had an 04 BMW 530i. Plainly and simply, it sucked. Hard. It was terribly unreliable, the entire iDrive system was replaced twice (1-2 weeks both times), the ignition failed at a red light once (had to be flatbedded, didn't see it again for 2.5 weeks). Then throughout its life it had random warning lights for low oil and low coolant (but it doesn't have a dipstick so you have no idea if the oil is low or not) both were just sensors that kept malfunctioning. It was in at least once a month for 3 years to get one or the other (sometimes both) replaced.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I'm curious... is the 2006 IS300 really cheap over there? How come all the other cars are 04/05 except for the IS300?

If you are trying to get laid... I think BMW is the best thing to get. The Z4 will probably drop the panties quicker if you can drive it properly.

But seeing how you are from Saudi Arabia... shouldn't you be driving a customized Ferrari Enzo or something? :p

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Then again... the 2006 IS300 is the only car with "current" styling. All the other cars are either being refreshed or have a new version.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts