602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
PLEASE PROVIDE FEEDBACK:
Fitment / Price / Sound Quality
OBX

Fitment: Simple fitment bolts right in. O2 sensor bungs line right up with OEM locations.

Price: It was around $400 new about 4 years ago.

Sound Quality: With the car tuned was quiet at idle and had a nice growl at WOT. No drone.

Mazzuri

Fitment: Must put in everything loose then connect pieces (no problem just different). Primary O2 sensors moved up the primary runners. Harness reaches just fine. No secondary bungs.

Price: Group buy $420ish.

Sound quality: Idle is quiet. anything over 10% throttle it begins to get noticably louder with a growl. Much louder than the OBX at WOT.

Reactions: JayMarino

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have the mazzuri and I am glad I jumped on that group buy

Fitment: The fitment was right on, just leave it loose and tighten everything up once the header and the y-pipe are bolted on.

Price: Groupe buy $420

Sound quality:Definitely louder than stock but wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. WOT is conciderably louder

·
Registered
201 Posts
I bought Alphawerks header and y-pipe about 2 years ago and love it. The sound is great with the y-pipe and headers (at idle, cruising, and WOT). Performance gains were decent. Fitment was good except for B2S1 o2 sensor is really close to the firewall. Overall quality of products is excellent (stainless, no cracks, leaks, etc.).

At first, I installed just the headers (stock y-pipe). That didn't last long because I wanted more top end and didn't like the nasty rattle that comes from the stock y-pipe. After installing the y-pipe, I noticed an increase in top end especially (thanks to both header and y-pipe) and increase in sound (I felt that is sounded better and more aggresive).

I have yet to try the Mazzuri, I heard that it yeilds better gains but I'm not sure if an extra $300 is worth 5-10 hp. It would be great to see some dyno numbers on all of the headers.

·
13,727 Posts
Yeah, this thread didnt go to far. I wonder what that nasty rattle mplana was talking about with the header to stock y pipe connection? Is that normal for most people who have who have header to stock y? Any other input on the OBX header?

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Wow, great first post....seriously.

I have to say, I have the Mazzuri and Ypipe and it's not that much louder than stock with the stock muffler. The gains on the Mazzuri are proven and can't be matched by any other header. I can't see why someone would get anything else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a reason for you, money! I bought the OBX header and downpipe and its on its way here. Im going from a stock clogged exhaust to a header and downpipe with no cats. Im expecting a bid difference. Its not always about performance for folks with not-so-deep pockets.

·
13,727 Posts
I have a reason for you, money! I bought the OBX header and downpipe and its on its way here. Im going from a stock clogged exhaust to a header and downpipe with no cats. Im expecting a bid difference. Its not always about performance for folks with not-so-deep pockets.
Then why spend the money if its not about the performance then? You could just leave it stock and not spend a thing. And good luck with your bid difference.

And the Mazzuri has a reputation of being a very loud header. That is why I would look at something else, that and the fact that i want to pass emissions.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
There is no Team Lexus header. We had Borla headers that were not available to the public. They didn't have outlets for O2 sensors either.

Reactions: JayMarino

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have to replace the cats on the car, and a header is the cheapest, and quickest way to do that. you know my buddy who races honda's was telling me about all the folks he use to tear up on the street. he was saying mustang drivers are the worst cuz they are arrogant, and cocky and they think their stuff cant be beat. Im starting to think some folks on this forum are mustang drivers.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
No we arent arrogant. Some of us just think its worth holding out an extra month or two to get the best available. I could cheap out and get an OBX or other cheapie header OR I can hold off for another month and spend the extra $200 on a header that is unrivaled.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
Reppin' the old skool XERD Header/Y-Pipe combo!

it fits well, no issues thus far, there is a small rasp when at high-rpms and free-revving but its negligible. I love the sound of my exhaust system with the TRD exhaust. I think the exhaust is comprable to one of the HKS stock looking ones i forget (Ti Limited?). I've been complimented both by people inside and outside my car about the sound.

My last dyno was with PLP, SAFC2, XERD Header/Ypipe, stock resonator, HKS Carbon-Ti and i hit 211.2RWHP.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i was planning on getting the OBX short runner, but i've read a couple of u guys say their cheap...now are u meaning that in quality or price??

·
13,727 Posts
I still can't understand why the Mazzuri dynos more than anything else but essentially looks the same. Anyone can cut the cats out of their system with any exhaust combo.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Great thread. Subscribed. :approve:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts