Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, doing full suspension for my 2002 IS300. Looking at my options for rear upper control arms, and I've really only found Serial9, which is too damn expensive in my opinion, and the Cusco arms from THMotorsports. Also know about Figs, and I bought pretty much everything else from them (thank you Based Figs), but their upper arms are for high HP and over a grand. Completely unnecessary for me. Probably gonna go with the Cusco arms, but I wanted to know of any other options on the market that'd be worth my money I may have not seen.

Also, if anyone knows what I should go for in terms of lower arms in the front, I'd appreciate some input. I was going to go with Mevotech, or even Moog, but I'm not sure which to go with right now. Would love some feedback or advice. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
754 Posts
can you provide a link for the cusco RUCA? i didnt know they made one and im in the market for an aftermarket RUCA. the only thing on TH's website is for the front arm

if you tell us what you plan to do with the car, we can better help you make an informed decision. if youre just trying to refresh your rear end, OEM or OE replacement will do. Serial nine is more VIP (lots of neg camber) oriented. Figs is for track duty.

other RUCA mfgs are:
megan
battle version (vip and drift versions)
ikeya formula
KTS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh shit you're right, those are for the front. My mistake. I'm a bit new to this so I'm steadily learning with some guidance from a friend. I'm going to be doing track/autocross every now and then, but it's my daily driver until I buy something else. Looks like the Battle Versions might be the best bet. Would love the Ikeya Formula ones, but that's a pretty penny.

·
Registered
754 Posts
no worries, i figured you were talking about the front. i know a drifter who does multiple events and has megan rear end parts. i was surprised to see how long some of the stuff lasted him. ive always dismissed their stuff, but im seeing a lot more people run their stuff.

im still debating on what RUCA i want. i would think for auto x you would want the drift version RUCA, especially if your car is lowered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always heard mixed things about Megan Racing stuff, but I'm a sucker for higher quality parts if I can afford it. Definitely not downplaying them, since I have no personal experience with them as a company, but I feel more comfortable ordering BV than Megan based on other reviews.

Definitely agree with you on the drift version. Not looking to throw camber on really. If at all, it wouldn't be anything obnoxious.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
The stock UCA's are pretty damn good. Unless you're trying to solve an issue. i'm not clear why you'd want aftermarket. The GS400 aluminum UCA's seem to be a bolt in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh, then I might just take a pair of the GS400s. Figure they'll probably be cheaper online than in the dealership, correct?

EDIT: Finding the rear right upper for cheap on partsgeek.com, but the rear left upper is suuuuuper expensive. Any other vendor carry them for less than 477 USD?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Here's the thing, are they REALLY better than the steel ones? You can't see them when they're installed. I believe Figs sells upper ball joints and I know they sell bushings.

I'd be perfectly happy running stock ones. In fact, I have a pair of these aluminum ones on the shelf but run a stock pair of new uppers instead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are the stock ones still good if you're lowering the car, though? Thought I had read otherwise, but not sure. I'll be installing BC coilovers.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Typically people install the Figs lower arms and toe link to get camber back to semi-normal.

I'm not suggesting you never upgrade them. Just that I'd typically wait till I have a problem to solve before I start to swap parts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has anyone actually bolted up the 2nd gen GS arms to test fit and function? Debating if I should change out my rusted oem steels.

Also, Figs does not carry rear upper ball joints for the oem arm.

·
Registered
754 Posts
coming back to this i actually found out that KTS makes RUCAs for our cars. i can only find their stuff on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KTS-REAR-ADJUSTABLE-UPPER-ARM-FOR-TOYOTA-ALTEZZA-SXE10/223109804454?epid=22022844882&hash=item33f26171a6:g:QwoAAOSwXB1bele0:rk:1:pf:0

if that link is dead, check out the bottom of page 1 in my build thread for a pic. if you want to buy and cant find them on ebay, their user name is 'kts_japan_world_store'. i messaged them when they didnt have any listed and they went ahead and re-posted the listing for me so i could buy them.

i will also edit post #2 in this thread and add KTS for future reference.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Has anyone actually bolted up the 2nd gen GS arms to test fit and function? Debating if I should change out my rusted oem steels.
My GS parts car was a '98. They fit just fine. I've installed them and taken them back off when I had the subframe out to test fitment. Is 98 first or second gen? The GS430's are still the same I believe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah 98 is second gen. Nice. Well that at least opens up another possibility. Wish someone reputable made the rear ball joint.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know if this is a dead topic but I purchased some Rocar ball joints and poly bushings and rebuilt the oem arms. Cheaper alternative although labor extensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@theraflu how good are those ball joints you used? My RUCA is on its way out and the price for a new arm is abit high. Hahaha I didn’t know them ball joints could be replaced but it’s worth a try

·
Registered
72 Posts
@theraflu how good are those ball joints you used? My RUCA is on its way out and the price for a new arm is abit high. Hahaha I didn’t know them ball joints could be replaced but it’s worth a try
I didn't put a lot of miles on the car last year, I think 6K? But I did drive it to Colorado, one track day and one auto cross day, so far no problems.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I don't know your budget but check these out:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts