Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not too familiar with IS300s yet so but I'm assuming someone should have an answer to this question.

I'm going to check out a 5-speed IS this weekend and I wanted to know a good way to check the clutch.

For example: My friend's Corvette does a steady 20 mph, in 2nd gear and at 2000 RPMs which shows that the clutch is not slipping.

What is that point on the IS300?

Also, if anyone has any other advice on checking a clutch please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
ummm, how can you prove that the clutch isn't slipping when holding the car at 20mph in a certain gear? That doesn't make sense to me.

If, when you shift, the RPM's climb and the car doesn't seem to be accelerating accordingly, then you know the clutch is slipping.

You could try upshifting from 2nd to 4th somewhat aggresively to check for clutch slippage.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
HoustonLex said:
Start the car, put it in 4th gear, no throttle. Let the clutch pedal out slowly. If the car does NOT stall, the clutch is slipping.
I never knew that, thanx for the info HoustonLex! 42 for you troubles

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FourT6and2 said:
ummm, how can you prove that the clutch isn't slipping when holding the car at 20mph in a certain gear? That doesn't make sense to me.

If, when you shift, the RPM's climb and the car doesn't seem to be accelerating accordingly, then you know the clutch is slipping.

You could try upshifting from 2nd to 4th somewhat aggresively to check for clutch slippage.

The point is that the car is supposed to maintain a steady speed of 20 MPH at 2k RPMs...... If the car will have trouble holding that speed at 2k RPMs and the RPMs climb then the clutch is slipping. This is on a Corvette though...... every car has that point but I think every car is different.

BTW, thats for that 4th/releasing the clutch slowly idea. I'll definatly try it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts